1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cancel tatkal ticket?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by RuhanikaR, Sep 28, 2016.

1. RuhanikaR

RuhanikaR New Member

I had booked a Tatkal ticket to Jammu from Delhi, but due to some circumstances, I am now unable to travel, so I need to cancel the ticket.

I would like some help in finding out how to cancel a tatkal ticket and what procedures are involved.

My travel date is next week, so the sooner I cancel the ticket the better.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

There are two ways of cancelling your Tatkal ticket, either online or through the Indian Railways counter. You can cancel a Tatkal ticket if you booked online through the Indian Railways website. But recently, the IRCTC have added a feature wherein even those who booked tickets through the counter can cancel their ticket online.

Cancelling a Tatkal Ticket Booked Online (Online)
    • Go to the website of IRCTC and log into your account, the one you used to book the Tatkal ticket.
    • Once you're logged in, click on the My Transactions tab and then choose the Booked Ticket History tab.
    • Select the Tatkal ticket you have recently booked and click Cancel Ticket.
    • A pop-up window appears asking you to confirm your selection so click Confirm.
    Cancelling a Tatkal Ticket Booked in the Counter (Online)
    • Go to the website of the IRCTC and go to the Counter Ticket Cancellation section.
    • Input your ticket's PNR number, train number and the captcha. Tick the box stating that you have read the cancellation rules. Then, click on the Submit button.
    • A One-Time Password (OTP) would be sent to your mobile number so keep it close to you. Once you receive the OTP, input it in the website.
    • Information about the PNR and ticket would be displayed on the screen. Click on Cancel Ticket and the refund due would be displayed on the screen.
    • A text message would be sent to your mobile number regarding the details of your refund which you can show to the nearest counter to you so you can collect your refund.
    Cancelling a Tatkal Ticket Booked in the Counter (Counter Cancellation)
    • Go to the nearest Passenger Reservation Counter System to you and obtain a Booking/Cancellation Form.
    • Fill this up with the details of your train, your name and other information.
    • Give this Cancellation Form to the railway clerk along with your ticket and the cancellation process would be on the way.
    Alternative - You can also cancel a ticket booked via counter through your mobile phone. Just dial 139 and select 6 from the options given. Give details about the ticket and yourself. You would then be sent an OTP to your mobile number which you can show at the nearest counter to you. You can then claim your refund, but it must be within the day you received the OTP.

Keep in mind though that there would be no refund given to confirmed Tatkal tickets, whether booked online or in counters. But it's still a good idea to cancel your ticket so your seat can open up for other people. If you cancel your unconfirmed (WL or RAC) ticket booked online, refund would be given back to your account. There's a charge of Rs. 60 and the remaining amount would be given back to your account.

I hope this helps you!