1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reach Hauz Khas Fort?

Discussion in 'North India' started by JasI, Sep 22, 2016.

1. JasI

JasI New Member

I am from Delhi and have been living here for the past eight years, and it was only until recent I found out that there is a fort in Hauz Khas, an area in Delhi which I have never been to.

I would like some help in finding out how to reach Hauz Khas Fort?

Is there a metro station close by or would I need to get an auto or bus?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Forts are part of the history of India. Many of the forts in the country, like the Agra Fort or the Red Fort, are still intact and provides one with a glimpse of the past of the region. However, even forts that fell into ruins can give us some look into the rich history of an area. The Hauz Khas Fort is just like that, once a glorious structure, it now stands it ruins. So do most of the inner structures located in the fort. It's still worth a visit though just because it became a very important part of Delhi's history.

The Hauz Khas Fort was built around a reservoir or tank, hence the name hauz. It was built during the Khijli dynasty but was renovated under the Tughlaq dynasty. The fort was built around the end of the 12th century but most of the inner structures were built during the 13th century. The fort houses many structures mostly built during the Tughlaq dynasty. Most noteworthy of which is the Tomb of Firoz Shah. Other structures include a mosque, a college and three pavilions.

Now, the Hauz Khas Fort is one of the best picnic spots in the city. The lush greenery and bird species here provide some form of respite from the chaotic city life. For the history lovers, you can explore many of the undiscovered paths and corners of the fort. The Hauz Khas Village, located just near the fort, has a number of coffee shops and retail stores to keep you busy as well.

From Delhi Secretariat, Hauz Khas Fort is about 13 kilometres away. Here is how you can reach the Hauz Khas Fort:

1. By Bus - The nearest bus station to the Hauz Khas Fort is the ISTM Bus Station. Since there are no direct buses plying this route from the DTC, you have to change buses. Your route would be:
    • Delhi Secretariat > Bus to Dhaula Khuan > Bus to ISTM > Auto to Hauz Khas Fort.
    So first, from Delhi Secretariat to Dhaula Khuan, you can board this bus:
    • DTC Bus No. 783
    Next, from Dhaula Khuan to ISTM, board this bus:
    • DTC Bus No. 511 A
    These buses usually start as early as 5:30 am and has frequent schedules until 11:00 pm. The frequency of buses depends but it's usually every 15 to 30 minutes. Unfortunately, the website of DTC is under maintenance, so I cannot give you their exact timings. Anyway, from the ISTM Bus Station, you can just ride an auto to reach the Hauz Khas Fort.

2. By Metro - The nearest metro station is the Hauz Khas Metro Station, on the yellow line of Delhi Metro. Haus Khaz Metro Station is just 950 metres away from the Hauz Khas Fort. First train from Central Secretariat arrives by 5:30 am and last train arrives by 11:00 pm. The same goes for the first train and last train for Hauz Khas Metro Station. It can take you about 18 minutes to reach Hauz Khas Metro Station. Fare is at Rs. 15 per passenger.

3. By Taxi - You can also just ride a taxi from wherever you come from in Delhi to Hauz Khas. If coming from Delhi Secretariat, fare would be around Rs. 100 to Rs. 200, depending on the traffic.

I hope this helps you.:)

Admin likes this.