1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Marrying a Foreigner in India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by naitikbharadwaj, Jun 18, 2016.

1. naitikbharadwaj

naitikbharadwaj New Member

My girlfriend of the past three years is a foreigner, and we have decided we would both like to get married. As I have to go through many visa processes, she would be coming here to India so we can get married here.

Is there some particular procedure or application which has to be filled in for an Indian marrying a foreigner in India?

If it helps I live in Delhi, so I am not sure if there are different procedures or rules for the various states.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here is the procedure for your case:

• File for a notice of writing that you have resided in the said district and submit in your district's Marriage Registrar. At least one of you guys have to have resided in that district for at least 30 days.
    • Your notice will be put up by the registrar so if there are any objections, they can see the notice.
    • After 30 days, provided that no objection occurred, you may push through with the marriage.
    • Both parties have to be present on the day of solemnisation as well as three witnesses.
    • Marriage certificate is granted.

Here are the requirements you might need:
    • Application form signed by both parties
    • Birth certificates
    • Copy of both of your passports with visa
    • Residential proof for both of you
    • Proof of stay or report of stay from police
    • Marital status certificate from India and from whichever country your partner is from
    • Death certificate or divorce decree if widowed or remarried (for any of you)
    I hope this helps!