1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marrying a Foreigner in India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Nihal, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Nihal

Nihal New Member

This query is a bit out of place on this forum, but I am trying my luck and hoping to get some feedback.

My girlfriend and I wish to get married, the only issue I see is that she is a foreigner and I am an Indian citizen. I would like to know are there any problems marrying a foreigner in India?

Would there be special procedures we need to go through to get married or does it work the same way as getting married to an Indian citizen?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum, @Nihal!

Here are the steps you have to take to obtain a marriage certificate or get married in India, if one of you is a foreigner:

• Obtain a notice of intention to get married from the Marriage Registrar's Office.
    • One of you have to have stayed at least 30 days in the your supposed place of residence.
    • The notice or intention to get married will be put up so in case anyone objects, they can do so.
    • After 30 days, if no one objects, then you can continue on with the civil or the church or Hindu marriage.
    • You can then register for the marriage after the date you've married. Submit the requirements mentioned below.
    • It can take a few days to a week before you can get your certificate.
    Here are the requirements:
    • Application form signed by both parties
    • Proof of residence
    • Birth certificates for both parties
    • Two passport sized photographs each and a marriage photo
    • Marriage affidavits
    • Three witnesses with ID and proof of residence
    I hope this helps!

3. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

The Special Marriage Act of 1954 allows for Indians of different religions and Indians and foreigners to get married. Everything above is covered. There are also different marriage acts for different religions so if you want to get married in a particular religious context, check those out as well.

4. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I know of Kenyans who were married by Indians who came to Africa to construct railway lines. I don't know the correct procedures but I can assure you that it is possible. There are laid down rules that guides the procedure. I hope that it usually don't take long to finish the paperwork.