1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Railway Reservation from USA

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by HeatherY, May 24, 2016.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY New Member

I am going India for a month long holiday exploring some destinations and learning about the different places and cultures in India. I have made an itinerary of some of my trips where I would need to travel by train, as I like everything planned and so need to make my train bookings now.

I was wondering is it possible to make an Indian railway reservation from USA?

I did not want to register on the site then find out that I am unable to do so, it would have wasted time, so thought it would be better to ask on the forum and plus I would get some additional information as well.

2. tito077

tito077 New Member

Hi Heather Y ,

Welcome to INDIA.

We have a Govt. Enterprise website which is very user friendly and you can have different tour and travel tips and arrangement from them, it is very easy to login also. Just try it if you faceany problem please contact me.

IRCTC Next Generation eTicketing System

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Yes, it is very possible to book or reserve tickets for the railway from the USA. It wasn't possible before as you would need Indian credit cards to be able to book or reserve tickets. However, just recently, this has been changed as the Indian Railways website is now accepting Visa and Mastercard Credit Cards. You only need to select international cards as your choice in the list.

You can reserve tickets as early as 120 days before the departure of the train, for long distance travels. For shorter distance destinations, you would need to wait until reservations are open though. That could be for a lesser time than the long distance travel.

The reservation system online closes at exactly 18:00-19:00 GMT so make sure you book before that time. You might experience some problems if the system is overloaded with visitors. Just reload the page or maybe try at another time. Typically, after 13:00 GMT, that's when there's not much visitors.

I hope this helps!