1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in Visiting Northern India...

Discussion in 'North India' started by katiejean990, Jul 1, 2016.

1. katiejean990

katiejean990 New Member

Hello, beautiful friends! I'm quite interested in visiting northern India and wondered if you had any suggestions for natural tourist attractions. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy visiting cities, but I'm really looking for natural wonders, museums, and other related places of interest. Your feedback is welcomed! :)

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and I hope you're enjoying the forum!

There's lots to explore in India as a whole. In Northern India, we have the famous tourist places and then we have the unexplored ones. Let me start by listing the most common tourist attractions in the Northern part of India:

1. Delhi. I just have to include this in the list even though it's a city. I think a trip to India just wouldn't be complete without visiting Delhi. Here's a few attractions you can see here:
    • Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple. It is a house of God, Hindu house of worship and at the same time, a spiritual and cultural campus. The temple itself is devoted to Bhagwan Swaminarayan and all other important people in Hinduism. There's open gardens, step well courtyard and even water bodies in here.
    • Laxminarayan Temple. A temple dedicated to Laxminarayan and attracts thousands of devotees every year. There are many shrines, fountains and gardens inside.
    • Jantar Mantar. One of the few remaining astrological observatories in India. It is less maintained than the one in Jaipur but it's still worth visiting.
    • Museums in Delhi like the National Museum, Science Museum, Planetarium, National Rail Museum, Ghandi Smriti and Doll Museum. Perfect for kids to learn more about India and even science.
    • Red Fort. Home of the Mughal Emperors for a long time until it was converted by the British Army into a barracks. The red sandstone used to made this gives life to the structure's beauty.
    • Qutub Minar. A fine example of Tughlak and Aibak architecture styles combined.
    2. Chandigarh. Known as an all-year round destination since it's elevated and has great temperature throughout the year. It also has a low crime rate so it's definitely safe for tourists.
    • Nek Chand's Rock Garden. It runs along the Sukhna Waterfalls and along the way, there are sculptures and potteries of different animals, dancers and musicians.
    • Zakir Hussain's Rose Garden. The largest rose garden in Asia, it also has some medicinal herbs.
    • Yadavindra Gardens. Displays a combination of Mughal and Rajasthani styles of architecture.
    • International Dolls Museum. There's an Indian section and toy train section popular with tourists.
    • Cactus Garden. With an area of over 7 acres, there's lots of cactus to be seen here.
    • Museum and Art Gallery. Features items from the Indus Valley civilisation plus other items from ancient times. There are also dinosaur fossils excavated in the place which is in display in the museum.
    3. Kullu and Manali. Probably one of the most popular tourist destinations in Northern India. Lots of valleys, hill stations and temples to be seen here. Some places to visit are:
    • Hidimba Devi Temple. Dedicated to Rakshasa Hidimb, this temple is set amidst thick deoodar forestry.
    • Vashist Hot Water Springs. Very popular among pilgrims and tourists alike.
    • Bijli Mahadev Temple. Its name is derived from the fact that it has a 60 feet lightning rod struck by lightning every year. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
    4. Jammu. Dubbed to be as the winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir. Here's places you can visit here:
    • Vaishno Devi Temple. Nearly 10 million devotees visit this temple every year.
    • Bahu Fort. Built by Raja Bhau and attracts tourists every year as well.
    • Peer Kho Cave. Inside are Mughal and Dogra paintings which make for a great excursion.
    5. Agra. Another cannot be missed destination in North India. This is where the famous Taj Mahal lies.
    • Taj Mahal. Built by Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, Mumtaz Mahal. You could see the brilliance of Mughal architecture just by looking at this structure.
    • Agra Fort. A fine example of Mughal architecture, this fortress houses different palaces inside it.
    • Fatehpur Sikri. Dedicated to Sufi Saint and is a combination of Indian, Islamic and Persian architecture.
    • Itmad-Ud-Daulah. India's first tomb completely made of marble.
    Now, for the lesser known places in North India:

1. Narkanda. A lesser known destination in Shimla, this attracts tourists because of the serenity of the place. Visit:
    • Hatu Peak. Enjoy the views of the valley from the top.
    • Tannu Jabar Lake. Perfect for having a picnic or just relaxing.
    • Stokes Farm. Pick some fresh apples and take them home.
    • Mahamaya Temple. A temple dedicated to Goddess Kali, great place for meditation.
    2. Dhanachuli. Found in the Kumaun Region of Uttarakhand.
    • The Old Dhanachuli Village. Abandoned houses of people who formerly lived in Dhanachuli with some interesting carvings and designs.
    • Gaula River. Perfect for having a picnic with your family.
    3. Darang. Located near McLeodganj, this is one beautiful destination not known to many people. Visit the:
    • Gandhi Smriti Park. A green park with a little playground for kids.
    • Bar Masjid. One of the oldest mosques in Darang.
    • Batha Beel. Great place for bird watching.
    • Orang National Park. Great place for wildlife enthusiasts, where you can spot the Royal Bengal Tiger, Sambar and Hog Deer.
    4. Naukuchiatal. Known for its beautiful lake and festivals. Visit the:
    • Naukuchiatal Lake. Its name means nine-cornered lake, and they believe that at one glance of these corners, it can help one attain Nirvana.
    • Hanuman Temple. It has a 53 feet high statue of Lord Hanuman. Most people who visit the temple described it as one of the most beautiful temples in India.
    I hope this helps! Let me know if you'd like to know about other places in North India to visit. Good luck!