Is A Lot Of The Food Spicy?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sammie, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Sammie

Sammie Member

My partner has a hard time with certain spices. They give him the worst indigestion. I'm wondering if there are foods that are light on the spices that he would be able to enjoy? Worst case scenario I will bring antacid tablets with me.

2. Pamela

Pamela Guest

From what I've read, not everything is extremely spicy. I haven't traveled there yet, though, so I can't speak from personal experience. I would imagine in any restaurant that you could ask for spices to be used conservatively if necessary.

3. Kristie

Kristie New Member

Not all Indian food is spicy and hot. It all depends on which area you are planning to visit. I am sure you can find mild options everywhere.

4. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I have a friend who traveled to India quite regularly before, and she said there were plenty of options for tourists. One just needs to be specific when ordering. The good news is, ginger tea is a rather popular drink there, and it's really good for digestion. My tummy issues just go away whenever I have a cup of it.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

There's definitely non-spicy options and from a lot of people's reports, places often tend to go easy on the spice for foreigners anyway!

One thing I usually do when I order something like a curry anyway is get a soothing type drink (mango lassi's are perfect!) and since it's yogurt based it tends to help combat any spiciness!

Pamela likes this.
  6. Pamela

Pamela Guest

Ordering a drink or some type of food to offset a spicy entree is a good idea. Maybe I am mistaken in this regard but isn't bread usually served as part of traditional Indian fare? That in and of itself will help offset something spicy.

7. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

When I went to India, food was not all spicy like you think it would be. Some foods, yes, are a little hot but it was about half and half. I'm fine with spice though. You should just ask someone at the store or restaurant. Cheers!

8. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

When I order Indian food locally, they do usually serve the dishes with Naan bread - this is in the States, though, so I don't know if it's 100% the case in India itself or a Western custom for serving Indian food!