1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is The Current Tensions In The Country Hurting Nepal's Tourism?

Discussion in 'Nepal' started by AlapanB, Jan 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

With the recent political and cultural tensions rising amongst the people of Nepal concerning its newly created constitution, trade relations with India is at an all-time low, with almost all land-routes closed off and travel across borders coming to an almost complete standstill. Has this had the same effect on the country's tourism industry? Is it safe to travel to Nepal as of now? Or maybe we should wait until things simmer down a little bit.

2. George

George Member

Not sure I would want to travel across the boarder if this is the problem. You did write that the land-routes and boarder are almost closed or at a standstill right now. I would hate to try and cross the boarder and be stuck there with no way to return to India. Personally I would wait to see what happens in the next few months before deciding to go there.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

It is still safe for the Indians to travel to Nepal. However, you will experience shortages of many items. The tension is between the two governments and not between the people of two nations. Nepal buys petroleum from India and because of blockade, there is a problem with transportation.

amelia88 likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Thanks for the advice Vinaya! It's always nice to have first hand information from someone actually living in the country. Hopefully the governments will come to an agreement soon and the tensions will be lessened.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Tensions will always hurt tourism. Most tourists are Americans, and they like to go places without understanding the culture, situation, or much of anything, really. They hear about protests, riots, and tensions, and they think a trip to Cancun is a better option. Maybe they are right. It is silly to risk your life for a sightseeing trip, and I would never recommend that to anyone. Safety is always the primary concern. I mean, without it, people will not feel comfortable and will not be open-minded. How can you truly enjoy a new place and immerse yourself in the culture if you have to worry about evacuation or riots?