1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is There A Way To Go Straight From Darjeeling To Pelling?

Discussion in 'Sikkim' started by Yoram Galili, May 1, 2016.

1. Yoram Galili

Yoram Galili New Member

Hi
    I'm planning on visiting Sikkim on next October. I'll get to Bagdogra in a domestic flight from Delhi. I see that all the trip advices says that the classic way is to go from Bagdogra to Darjeeling, and from there to Gangtok. My question is: Is it possible to go from Darjeeling to Pelling, and not to Gangtok? e.g. by a Taxi or a share jeep, etc?
    And then: Does it makes more sense to go to Pelling from Bagdogra, skipping Darjeeling?

Thanks,
    Yoram.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes you can go to Pelling without touching Darjeeling. There are plenty of shared taxis that go from Bagdogra to Pelling. Total distance is about 140Kms and it takes about five hours.

It is a matter of personal choice. Darjeeling has lots of tea estates with resorts where you can stay but as you are going to Pelling , there using much that Darjeeling has to offer and Well ng does not.

If I was you I would stop over at Darjeeling for a couple of days if I had the time just to get a feel.

3. Yoram Galili

Yoram Galili New Member

Thanks for your answer.

Two more questions, please:
    1. How much time does it take to get from Darjeeling to Pelling?
    2. How much time does it take to get from Gangtok to Pelling?

We will have only 8 days, so we're trying to make as good plan as possible...

Thanks again.

4. Admin

Distance is only about 80Kms but it takes a little more than four hours to get there.

Gangtok to Pelling is a little over 110Kms and takes around 6-7 hours driving to get there.

5. Admin

Pelling is a great place to spend a week. I won't waste time at Darjeeling in the case. Gangtok only if I was going for one of the lakes like Gurudongmar etc else staying the whole duration at Pelling is a great use of time if relaxation is what you are looking for. Including both Darjeeling and Gangtok in those 8 dys would mean you will spend a good part of your holiday traveling on the road or recovering from fatigue.

Hope this helps :)

6. Yoram Galili

Yoram Galili New Member

Thanks! It does help...
    What about the idea of stopping at NAMCHI en route from Darjeeling to Pelling? This town looks interesting and with lots of things to see and to do. I'll be happy to learn about it, get advice, etc.