1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Karla caves near Mumbai

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by Rumikhan, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

Hi Everyone

I was checking a website to find weekend getaways from Mumbai and found this Karla caves which seems to be somewhere near Mumbai, can somebody tell the details like the route from Mumbai, how to reach and where to stay if I want to visit and is it open all the seven days in a week or not. I will be very thankful for any details

Thanks,
    Rumi

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

Hi

I am surprised, you never heard of Karla caves till now? Its around 10kms from Lonavala. It's worth going there and whenever I never miss to visit Karla caves :)

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Caves are ok'ish I would say and there is also a half decent water park with few rides. Water is kind of murky and not clear at all but it is not very crowded so it is good in that respect. There is also a wax museum but I find it a waste of time and money.

Over all not a great destination for a holiday but if you are en route to else where then you could stop over for a few hours.

4. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

For more information about the Karla Caves in Maharashtra including how to reach there, please refer to this thread - Karla Caves.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Karla Caves and Mumbai is about 94 kms or about 2 hours of travel time. You can find the Karla Caves near Lonavala. These caves have the largest and best preserved prayer hall in India. Other names for the Karla Caves are: Karle Caves and Karla Cells. It was built in the 2nd Century BC but was only completed in the 5th Century AD.

The Karla Caves were once a Buddhist Monastery with about 16 caves in total. Majority of the caves were built in the Hinayana Phase although the last three were built in the Mahayana Phase. The main cave, the large prayer hall, is called the "chaityagriha." Its main roof is made from wood, its pillars are decorated with carvings and its window deflects light to the stupa at the side. The other 15 caves are smaller and are called "viharas."

Although the caves are supposed to be for Buddhism, most of the sculptures are of elephants and couples. There's also a tower pillar with lions on top at the entrance of the cave. The Ekvira Temple is located just beside the caves as well.

This is the route you have to take:
    • Pune > Chadani Chowk > Old Mumbai-Pune Highway > Take Right at Karle Village > Climb the Hill to Reach the Top > Karle Caves
    This is about 350 steps from the base of the hill. From the car parking, it's about 200 steps. The caves are open everyday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Avoid going on the weekends though as it can get very crowded. Weekdays would be your best option. Entry fee is Rs. 5 per person and car parking fee is Rs. 20.

Some accommodation options are:
    • MTDC Karla. This is the nearest accommodation option to the Karla Caves. Rates here start at Rs. 1,650 per night. They have very basic rooms with amenities like television, bathroom and water dispenser. They also have a water park that guests can avail for a fee. Other activities here are boating and using a water scooter. Their address is: Karla, Tal -Maval via Kamshet, District of Pune.
    • Hotel Rainbow Retreat. This is about 10 kms from the Karla Caves. Their Deluxe Room is at Rs. 4,500 and it's quite elegant. There's also a swimming pool and kids play area in the hotel. Their address is: Old Mumbai Pune Highway, Rao Colony, Lonavala, Maharashtra 410401.
    • Heritage Villas. This is about 4 kms from the Karla Caves. Their Non-AC Cottages are at Rs. 2,500 per night. There's a television, hot water facility and even a private balcony for each room. Their address is: Plot No. 102, Village Dhaivali, Pune, Maharashtra 410405.
    I hope this helps!