1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bhaja Caves near Mumbai

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Rumikhan, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

While checking getaways from Mumbai I found this second place and in my entire life I never knew that we have caves near Mumbai, anyone been there? Anyone knows about Bhaja Caves near Mumbai? How to reach there and how much time is required to see the caves and around?

I am really excited to go there soon

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Bhaja caves are near Lonavala and you can go there by Bus or a taxi from Mumbai.

Depends what you want to do there if you are into taking pictures you can keep doing that for a few days but other wise there are twenty two caves in total and they can all be viewed in a few hours.

This is what one the caves at Bhaja looks like to give you an idea :

Bhaja-Caves.jpg

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and I'm glad you created this thread!

The Bhaja Caves date as far back as the 1st century A.D. It is considered as a national monument and attracts thousands of visitors each year. The caves are 400 feet above the village named Bhaja. The caves has a number of different stupas as well, it has five inside and nine outside.

Considering you're coming from Pune, take the exit on the old Pune-Mumbai Highway. Then take the NH4 towards Mumbai, which is about 7 kms away from Lonavala. You would see an exit towards the left to Bhaja or Malavali. Take the left turn to reach Malavali Village. About two kms away from Malavali, you would reach the base village of Bhaja.

To reach the caves from the base, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes of walking. The caves officially close around 6 pm but even at 5:45 pm, they won't allow tourists in. So you need to get there a bit earlier as it's stunning to see the caves during late afternoon to night time. Allot at least an hour to see the caves and take some pictures as well.

I hope this helps!