1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kedarnath to Badrinath Trekking Route

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Martin, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Martin

Martin New Member

I will be in India going towards Dehradun visiting some of the religious places, and eventually making my way to Kedarnath where I will begin my trekking to Badrinath.

It would be the first time I would be trekking in India, so I have no knowledge about the area, the weather, but these are all very minor things. The main information I need is the Kedarnath to Badrinath trekking route.

I would be grateful for information about the route to be posted in this thread and any other vital details as well, which would enable me to have a successful trekking experience in India.

2. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

Hi Martin,
    Both Kedarnath and Badrinath are Hindu holy shrines. The straight line distance between Kedarnath to Badrinath is 40+ Km. I'm not sure how you plan to undertake your journey, but if you wish to trek all along, then summer months are the best. Badrinath is located in the state of Uttarakhand and you'll have to trek east(from Kedarnath) to reach the abode of Lord Shiva.

Both are very famous pilgrimage places and you get plenty of amenities all along. Package tours are arranged by the way and the government of Uttarakhand offers so many facilities for trekkers. Do ask me more for any specific info. I shall try my best to provide you with relevant links.

Have a nice time. Best of luck!

Admin likes this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Martin! Welcome to the forum!

Here's two routes you can take to reach Badrinath from Kedarnath:

• Kedarnath to Badrinath via Chopta (about 229 kms): Kedarnath to Kund > Ukhimath > Dogalbhitta > Chopta > Mandal > Gopeshwar > Chamoli > Birahi > Pipalkoti > Garur Ganga > Helang > Joshimath > Vishnuprayag > Govindghat > Pandukeshwar > Hanumanchatti > Shri Badrinath.
    • Kedarnath to Badrinath via Tilwara (about 247 kms): Kedarnath > Gaurikund > Sonprayag > Rampur > Phata > Guptkashi > Kund > Agastyamuni > Tilwara > Rudraprayag > Gauchar > Karnaprayag > Nandprayag > Chamoli > Birahi > Pipalkoti > Garur Ganga > Helang > Joshimath > Vishnuprayag > Govindghat > Pandukeshwar > Hanumanchatti > Shri Badrinath.
    The nearest railway station to Badrinath is the Rishikesh Railway Station. It is bout 295 kms away from Badrinath. There are also buses from Dehradun, Haridwar, Rishikesh and Chamoli.

If you decide to drive this routes, do so during early morning. After sunset, no vehicles are allowed to pass in Joshimath anymore. The reason being that the roads are too narrow, one-laned and dangerous. Some travellers decide to rest for the night at Joshimath and just continue their journey the next day.

Since the roads in Joshimath are too narrow, they have scheduled timings for releasing queued up vehicles. The timings are: 6:00-7:00 am, 9:00-10:00 am, 11:00-12:00 am, 2:00-3:00 pm, and 4:30-5:30 pm. It is only in Pandukeshwar that there is a two way lane or traffic.

I hope this helps!