1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladakh Clothing

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by RubyDalia, Oct 6, 2016.

1. RubyDalia

RubyDalia New Member

I am going to Ladakh with family which consists of myself, my husband and two kids aged 7 and 10 years old. I would like to know what clothign we should take with us when going to Ladakh. I understand that it would be very cold together but not too sure how cold.

Please guide me so I can take the right type of clothing and be well prepared for my family especially my kids.

2. djtravels

djtravels Member

So during the daytime, even in October, the temperatures are going to be low to normal. You won't really need anything more than a warm jumper. But, during the night, it gets really cold. And that's why you need to take the usual stuff, such as warm inner wear while indoors and jackets if you plan on stepping out. Of course, wherever you decide to lodge, they'll provide you with the other stuff. You didn't tell us your starting location, but most major cities have specific markets where they'll give you clothes for any country or state. I would simply go there and tell them about the location. OTOH if you don't know about such a place or there isn't a place like that near you, just carry the kind of clothes you'd carry for a hill station as well as to a summer destination.

Just to give you an idea. The current temp there is 20C High and 9C low. So, that should provide you a fair idea. Here's a basic list (per person):

1 snow jacket.
    2 heavy set cardigans
    1 light cardigan
    1 cap
    3 sweatshirts
    N warmers
    N woolen socks
    3 regular socks
    1 pair woodland type shoes
    1 Pair of warm gloves
    Regular stuff that you'd carry to any destination, such as a couple of t-shirts, dresses, etc.

If you don't have all of these, don't worry. Some of the stuff you can do without.

briannagodess likes this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

This is the last month that travelling to Ladakh by road is permitted. After October, all roads leading to Ladakh are closed. Sometimes, these roads can get closed earlier, as early as the second week of October due to dangerous road conditions. But if you'd like to squeeze in one last trip to Ladakh this year, then you better be prepared for the climate there.

During the month of October, the whole region of Ladakh experiences colder temperatures. Days are quite sunny and crisp with temperatures touching 20°C to 23°C. So during day time, sightseeing won't be an issue and you can wear even just a layer or two of clothing. On the other hand, once the darkness sets in, be prepared for a colder Ladakh. With temperatures reaching -1°C to 14°C, you might need thicker clothes and even quilts to help you get through the night.

It's also not unusual for snow to set in and even for some roads to be covered by snow, especially on the higher altitude areas. The beauty of Ladakh post-monsoon season is undeniable with the different colours surrounding the region. The various lakes in the region are worth visiting during this time before they become frozen for the winter season. However, many of the camps surrounding these lakes close for the remaining season and so do the other hotels in the area.

So with these temperatures and climates in mind, we can now focus on your question, which is what type of clothes you need to bring to Ladakh during the month of October. To prepare yourself and your family for the cold climate, be sure to pack these clothes:
    • Inner thermal wear (At least three for each person, also depends on how many days you're going to spend in Ladakh.)
    • Heavy woollens (Since you're basically in the winter season, heavy woollens are necessary. However, during the months of June to August, even light woollens might suffice. Bring at least two to three woollens for each person.)
    • Long sleeves shirts (An added protection from the cold especially during the winter months. If visiting during the other months, then you might get away with just long sleeves shirts during day time. One to two long sleeves shirts would be enough for each person.)
    • Jackets (These are very handy even in the other months but more so during the winter season. Do bring one with a hood so as to protect your head from snow or even rain. Bring at least two jackets for each family member.)
    • Pairs of socks (Both normal socks and woollen socks, worn over each other can help protect your feet from the cold during winter. Bring at least two to three pairs for each person.)
    • Insulated shoes with good grip and waterproof shoes (These are to protect your feet from the cold especially when you're going to be doing some trekking or hiking. Waterproof shoes are essential when you're going to be crossing streams or when it rains.)
    • Pairs of gloves (Both woollen and snow gloves to protect your hands from the cold. Bring at least two pairs for each person.)
    • Balaclava or ski mask (This is very important during winter season as it can protect your head from the cold. One of this would suffice per each person.)
    • Bonnet and cap (Another must to protect your head not only from the cold but also from the daytime rays of the sun. One to two pieces would be enough per person.)
    • Sunglasses (To protect your eyes from the rays of the sun and also from the snow. Bring at least one per person.)
    • Other clothing items like shirts and leggings or pants can be brought as well (Make sure that you bring cotton clothes that are easy to move in as you'd do a lot of sightseeing in the region. On a related note, bring some blankets as some home stays don't provide enough of them to guests.)
    • Other accessories that might help protect you from the cold like scarves and mufflers (Also carry sunblock and sunscreen as the sun can be harsh in the higher regions of Ladakh. Lip balm is also a must to protect your lips from being chapped due to the cold temperature.)
    There you go, I hope this helps you. Enjoy your trip to Ladakh!:)