1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leh To Nubra Valley

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Pal, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Pal

Pal New Member

This summer I will be going to Leh and will be spending some around 2-3 weeks there exploring the place. I am currently still in the process of planning things out and the places I would visit there, and require some help.

I would like to go to Nubra Valley and I need some information about the Leh to Nubra Valley journey, such as the road conditions, the duration and whether I should stay the night there etc.

The more information I get the better it is for me.

2. Karan

Karan Member

The best route from Leh to Nubra Valley would be via Khardung La. The route you need to follow would be as follows:

Leh - Phyang - Khardung La - Khardung - Khalsar - Diskit - Hunder - Diskit - Sumur - Panamik - Nubra Valley

This particular route covers a distance of 160km which would take you anywhere from 5-6 hours to reach Nubra Valley.

One of the best things about this route is that you get to drive through Khardung La Pass and also be on the highest motorable road in the world.

leh to nubra valley.jpg

The road conditions from Leh to Nubra are quite good and you would not seem to have any particular road issues, apart from the fact that you will come across many army trucks which also use this same route, as the road is quite narrow you would be bound to see some crowded points. If you would rather avoid this, the best thing to suggest is to leave early morning for Nubra Valley.

I would recommend to you to stay overnight at some place, first of all, because it would be a different experience and secondly because going back on the same day would not be feasible and you would be very tired.

You would find accommodation options in the nearby villages of Nubra Valley. Diskit and Sumar have a number of accommodation options and are the closest to Nubra Valley. Panamik has very few accommodation options, in fact, you will mainly see guesthouses. If you want to be a bit adventurous and want to stay in a camp then you can stay at Hunder, which provides both guesthouses as well as camps.

As soon as you will leave you will lose your mobile network. The only place where you can make phone calls from is at Diskit and that too from payphones. Diskit is also the only place between Leh and Nubra Valley where there is a petrol pump, so if fuel is needed make sure you fill up.