1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leh To Nubra Valley

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Pal, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Pal

Pal New Member

This summer I will be going to Leh and will be spending some around 2-3 weeks there exploring the place. I am currently still in the process of planning things out and the places I would visit there, and require some help.

I would like to go to Nubra Valley and I need some information about the Leh to Nubra Valley journey, such as the road conditions, the duration and whether I should stay the night there etc.

The more information I get the better it is for me.

2. Karan

Karan Member

The best route from Leh to Nubra Valley would be via Khardung La. The route you need to follow would be as follows:

Leh - Phyang - Khardung La - Khardung - Khalsar - Diskit - Hunder - Diskit - Sumur - Panamik - Nubra Valley

This particular route covers a distance of 160km which would take you anywhere from 5-6 hours to reach Nubra Valley.

One of the best things about this route is that you get to drive through Khardung La Pass and also be on the highest motorable road in the world.

leh to nubra valley.jpg

The road conditions from Leh to Nubra are quite good and you would not seem to have any particular road issues, apart from the fact that you will come across many army trucks which also use this same route, as the road is quite narrow you would be bound to see some crowded points. If you would rather avoid this, the best thing to suggest is to leave early morning for Nubra Valley.

I would recommend to you to stay overnight at some place, first of all, because it would be a different experience and secondly because going back on the same day would not be feasible and you would be very tired.

You would find accommodation options in the nearby villages of Nubra Valley. Diskit and Sumar have a number of accommodation options and are the closest to Nubra Valley. Panamik has very few accommodation options, in fact, you will mainly see guesthouses. If you want to be a bit adventurous and want to stay in a camp then you can stay at Hunder, which provides both guesthouses as well as camps.

As soon as you will leave you will lose your mobile network. The only place where you can make phone calls from is at Diskit and that too from payphones. Diskit is also the only place between Leh and Nubra Valley where there is a petrol pump, so if fuel is needed make sure you fill up.

3. Jay

Jay New Member

Sure, here's some information to help you plan your trip from Leh to Nubra Valley:

Nubra Valley is a beautiful valley located in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, India. It is known for its sand dunes, Bactrian camels, and gompas (Buddhist monasteries).

Getting from Leh to Nubra Valley:

The most common way to get from Leh to Nubra Valley is by road. The journey is about 160 kilometers (100 miles) and takes approximately 4-5 hours, depending on the road conditions and traffic. The route takes you over the Khardung La pass, which is one of the highest motorable roads in the world, at an altitude of 18,379 feet (5,602 meters).
    [Image of Khardung La pass Nubra Valley]

Road Conditions:

The road conditions can vary depending on the time of year. In the summer months (June to September), the roads are generally well-maintained and accessible to most vehicles. However, in the winter months (December to March), the roads can be closed due to snow. It's advisable to check the road conditions before you travel, especially if you are planning to go in the shoulder seasons (April-May or October-November).

Should you stay overnight?

Nubra Valley is a beautiful place to visit, and there are a number of things to see and do there. If you are interested in exploring the valley properly, it is recommended to stay overnight. This will give you time to visit some of the villages, gompas, and other attractions in the valley. Some popular places to stay in Nubra Valley include Sumur, Diskit, and Turtuk.

Here are some additional things to consider when planning your trip to Nubra Valley:

Acclimatization: Leh is located at a high altitude (3,500 meters or 11,500 feet), so it is important to spend a few days acclimatizing to the altitude before you travel to Nubra Valley, which is even higher. This will help to reduce the risk of altitude sickness.
    Permits: You will need an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to visit Nubra Valley. You can obtain an ILP online or from any authorized agent in Leh.
    Time of year: The best time to visit Nubra Valley is during the summer months (June to September), when the weather is warm and sunny. However, the valley can also be visited in the spring (April-May) and autumn (October-November), when the weather is cooler and there are fewer crowds.
    Clothing: Be sure to pack warm clothes, even if you are traveling in the summer. The temperatures in Nubra Valley can drop significantly at night, especially at higher altitudes.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.