1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lentils

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kira, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Kira

Kira Guest

I recently saw a recipe for spicy lentil dip using cumin, garlic, curry and cayenne. Has anyone tried this? Also what are other Indian dishes using lentils? I find myself with more lentils than I can use.

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I am not sure if you are talking about Dal Makhani, but if you are, it is delicious and it's one of my favorite Indian dishes.

3. George

George Member

I have had Dal Makhani before. It is delicious and over the years has become one of my favorite Indian dishes. I love the flavor of the lentils blended with the different spices and curry. I would recommend this dish to everyone.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've had lentil curries before - they've always been good - but I've also had lentil soups which are delicious and filling too, and are especially nice at this time of year in winter. You can make Indian inspired lentil soups with the sorts of herbs and seasonings in a lot of Indian foods. I don't think it's traditional in any way, but it's still super yummy!

5. Peter

Peter New Member

Lentils are fantastic. I can't wait to try some Indian dishes with lentils and curry. I have had lentil dips before and they were delicious. I'm sure they'll even taste better once I arrive in India.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

spicy lentil is my favorite. I love having lentil with roti,paratha or rice. I can prepare lentil myself.

7. Kira

Kira Guest

I must be doing something wrong here. I cooked some lentils a couple of weeks ago and simply was not impressed. I used them in soup, salad and ate them plain. To me they were bland and took the taste away from some things. Please help me like lentils.

8. dvpeters

dvpeters New Member

The thing about lentils is that on their own, they really don't have much of a unique flavor at all. Their taste is really dependent on other components of whatever dish you're making. I would recommend looking around on the internet for some lentil recipes, or even experimenting with taste profiles, adding which herbs/spices you like and going from there.

9. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I love lentils. They are one of my favorites, and so good for you. Personally, I like to mix them with fried onion, tomato, seasoning, and a roux, then serve it over rice. It is very simple and comfortable. But they are plain on their own, as others have said. Also, a lot of people can get gas from them if they are not fully cooked.