1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License Free Walkie Talkie in India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by GK, Jun 15, 2016.

1. GK

GK New Member

I am to go on my first trek next month, and I read a lot of people mentioning that taking a walkie-talkie along is a good idea as there is no mobile coverage when going high up trekking. In case you lose your way or go in different directions, it's a good way to keep in contact with the people you are trekking with.
    From what I know and understand you can not use or own a walkie talkie unless you have a liscense, and I don't want to get into all that paperwork.

Is there any license free walkie talkie in India? If yes, please mention which ones they are and the cost if you know.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It's really tough to answer this question. In essence yes, there is a license free walkie talkie in India, those in the 27 Mhz band. But it's not easy to find such bands, I don't even know if they still exist. Plus, even if you find one, this can interfere with computer monitors. Inside buildings, it can work for up to three to four floors only. The legally accepted limits are 5 kms to 55 kms.

I found
    Motorola TalkAbout MOTO-T5720 Walkie Talkie and the price is at Rs 3,999. I cannot seem to find anymore brands online. Like I said, it's hard to find a walkie talkie of this band. Maybe you can find some in markets though.

Here are some of the facts about a 27 Mhz band of radio or Citizen's Band as we call it:

• May be used for business or personal communication
    • Shared by many users
    • Only one station may transmit in a channel at a time
    • Works in half-duplex mode, can only receive or send information, not both at the same time
    I hope this helps!