1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manali - Leh road STATUS 2016

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chahal, May 18, 2016.

1. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Status of Manali to Leh road as on 27th of May 2016 : OPEN

Update 16th of May : Rohtang pass has been opened up but BRO is still working on Baralacha pass. BRO has suggested that The whole Manali to Leh stretch will be cleared and open for traffic before the end of May if all goes to plan.

Update 27th of May : Road from Rohtang pass through to Keylong has a lot of slush on it and tarmac is in pretty bad condition. BRO is working on improving the broken patches but right now it is not a good idea for motor bikes on that route.

Update 29th of May 2016 : Traffic is flowing smoothly but there is still a lot of slush on roads between Rohtang pass and Keylong. There is hardly any water at water crossings due to whihc traffic jams are caused but right now traffic is flowing smoothly at water crossings as well.

ankitsoni likes this.

2. ankitsoni

ankitsoni New Member

Hi, I am traveling in Mid July from Manali >> Leh >>Srinagar.I hope roads will in good condition.

3. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Can someone please help, I am wanting to hire bike from Manali to Leh but have heard that rental motorbikes are not being allowed over rohtang pass? does anyone have any information and recommendations for bike hire in Manali?

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are phone numbers listed for different companies that provide motorbikes for rent here : Manali Leh Highway Travel Guide

Make a few phone calls and find out first hand information. From what I know they have banned rented motor bikes over Rohtang pass but government decisions are weird and keep changing from time to time so I am not sure what the situation is today but until a month ago thats what I was told.

Bus from Manali to Leh have become operational now including Delhi to Leh bus service so that's something you may be interested if motor bikes don't work out.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Delhi to Leh bus service has started for this year.

6. Admin

Your best option is to go to Leh via Srinagar and come back via Manali. You do not need a permit to pass through Rohtang la on your way back from Leh.

7. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Thanks, is the Srinagar to Leh route safe?

8. Admin

Srinagar - Leh route has a lot of Army presence and roads are far better with lot more places you can stay at enroute. It is safe.

Have a look at the Srinagar - Leh highway travel guide.