1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Srinagar Leh Highway Status 2016-17

Discussion in 'North India' started by Devin, May 6, 2016.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Hi friends, I would like to get the latest Srinagar Leh highway status 2016-17, as I would like to know when the best time to visit would be. I have not planned anything yet, and my trip will be something like "let's pack and go", so this thread would help me to get the latest highway status on this route whenever I decide to leave for Leh.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Devin! Welcome to the forum!

So I thought I'll just give a few updates about the Srinagar to Leh Highway status:
    • The Srinagar Leh Highway was opened this year, around April 20. Supposedly, the highway was to be opened two weeks earlier but it was delayed due to extreme weather conditions. The winter extended up to March in the area which is a blessing to the region. Because of this though, the already opened Kargil to Srinagar route was closed again. The roads were opened around April, but it was only for one-way traffic.
    • Last July 27, 2016, the Jammu Srinagar Highway was closed due to landslides as an aftermath of the rains in Ramban District. The rain has affected the major cities of the region like Gangroo, Panthal, Srinagar, Pahalgam and Gulmarg. It was opened again a few days after though.
    • But just last August 7, 2016, the Jammu Srinagar Highway was closed again due to landslides. The highway would remain close until after the clearance operations are done.
    • Right now, there's also an unrest in the region of Srinagar. Last July 8, 2016, an incident occurred in the region where Hizbul Mujhadeen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani was killed at Kokarnag in South Kashmir's Anantnag District. Since then, a strict curfew has been imposed in the region. Deaths have already raised to 50, after clashes with the government and the protesters. It is not safe to visit some parts of the region as well due to incidents of stone pelting. Train services, mobile services and internet services were also suspended in the region.
    • As of August 11, 2016, curfews are still imposed in the region of Srinagar. It is imposed in about five downtown regions of Srinagar, as well as Anantnag and Pampore. Restrictions on assembly are also imposed, whereby only groups of up to four members are allowed to be together. Schools, colleges, businesses, private offices, petrol pumps and public transportation are also closed. The same goes for internet and mobile services.
    At this point in time, it's better to take the Manali route, at least until the unrests and protests are regulated. I'll keep updating this thread about other information. I hope others can also impart what they know about the situation.