1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matheran Toy Train

Discussion in 'West India' started by Mithrali, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Mithrali

Mithrali New Member

I want to book some tickets for the Matheran toy train but am unable to find the actual site from where I can make the booking from. Many of my colleagues have said that the train is not operating yet.

Can someone please give information on when the train service will operated?

What are the timings for the train?

2. Major

Major New Member

The Matheran toy train which goes from Neral to Matheran is currently suspended due to the monsoons. The only service which is operational is the Matheran to Aman Lodge service. Unfortunately you can not make pre bookings and tickets have to brought from Neral.

From what I remember the Matheran has five services each day. From the Neral the departure timings are 0640hrs, 0750hrs, 0910hrs,1040hrs and 1210hrs. On weekends there is one service which is at 17.05hrs.

3. Travel Freak

Travel Freak New Member

The best time to check if the train is operational is around September when monsoons are to an end. Some travel agents and I am saying only some provide tickets for the train service.
    Major I would like to make a correction to your answer because you can book tickets online from the irctc website and you enter station code as NRL and destination code as MAE.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

I know this thread is from a year ago but I figured I'd give an update about the Matheran Toy Train. So since May 2016, the Matheran Toy Train was suspended from operating. This is due to the two derailing incidents that it suffered. For the safety of the passengers as well, they have decided to stop its operation to give way for its renovation. As of August 2016, there is still no news about when the the Matheran Toy Train will be fully functional.

So these two incidents happened in a close span of time with one another. So last year, in April, the toy train derailed and experienced technical failure in the Jhumapatti Station. Just this May, two incidents happened as well. Last May 1, the train malfunctioned and sent its bogies off-track. It has about 30 passengers that time. Then, last May 7, it derailed again near the Aman Lodge Station, while 100 passengers are on-board.

Up to now, it's still not clear when the Matheran Toy Train will resume its operations. Last May 27, the toy train trial was successful and many people assumed that the operations would begin again. But since the management have discovered that there were still problems in the same tracks that encountered issues, they postponed the operations again. It can take more time to change the design of the train and at the same time, make sure it's safe for the passengers.

Until now, there's just one loco fitted with air brake system running on 600 hp that has been sent to the railway management. But there are supposed to be other locos and engines sent to them. The management is also planning to make some walls around the rails to make it more safe for passengers. They are also planning to fit a Vigilance Control Device to the train. This way, the train can be monitored and the driver can be alerted every minute. In case the driver isn't responding, the train can be stopped automatically from the station.

Anyway, in case the Matheran Toy Train starts operating again, here are the timings:
    • Neral to Matheran - Everyday train departs at 6:40 am, 7:30 am, 9:00 am, 10:30 am and 5:05 pm. During Saturdays and Sundays, it's at 12:00 pm.
    • Matheran to Neral - Everyday train departs at 7:00 am, 9:45 am, 12:50 pm, 3:15 pm and 4:45 pm. During Saturdays and Sundays, it's at 2:05 pm.
    You can book your tickets from the IRCTC website. Tickets are also available from the counter 45 minutes before departure. The rates are:
    • Ordinary Class - Rs. 50 for adults and Rs. 25 for children.
    • First Class - Rs. 65 for adults and Rs. 40 for children.
    • Second Class - Rs. 265 for adults and Rs. 160 for children.
    • Deluxe - Rs. 1,350 for both adults and children.
    I hope this helps!