1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mauritius beaches vs Goa beaches

Discussion in 'Mauritius' started by MalikP, May 22, 2015.

1. MalikP

MalikP New Member

Beaches in Goa are very nice and from internet research the Mauritius beaches are beautiful too. I need some advise from someone who has travelled to both places to give advise on which destination has good beaches, and whether spending the extra money on the flights to Mauritius is worth it not.

How would you say both the places differ?

I think Goa is more of a couple place and not many families with kids go there would say Mauritius would be a more suitable destination for families?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I dont know where you get the notion that Goa is not family friendly. Thousands of families go there every year. Both Mauritius and Goa are beach destinations but the problem with Mauritius is that you end up spending a fortune on flights alone and also the hotels are a lot more costlier. You can manage your whole holiday at Goa with the money you would spend on flights alone if you went to Mauritius.

Dont get me wrong, Mauritius is a lovely place too but the amount of money it takes just to get there is kind of unjustified. If someone has the money and does not mind spending it on flights then yes why not if you have already been to Goa a few times.

If you like clean beaches and do not have a budget constraint, go to Mauritius by all means. Goa vs Mauritius? Mauritius would be my answer. If you would have asked India vs Mauritius then my answer would be India as Goa is a tiny state and there are so many other places near by if you want to explore.

3. Nik

Nik New Member

A lot of couples do go to Goa but there are also a lot of families which go there as well, nothing as such as just a couple destination.
    When comparing the two I would say there is a difference in the beaches and if you have the budget then you should go to Mauritius, otherwise Goa is good enough...:)

4. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

I have been to Mauritius twice and stayed at The Lux belle mare for two weeks and the second time we stayed at Sugar beach resort and on both occasions it was an all inclusive package so drinks were all included. It did cost a lot and when you go all inclusive you tend to stay within the resort for the whole duration and dont venture out into the local areas.

I am currently at Goa (it is too hot) and my money goes a long way here as everything is so cheap. I only buy local branded alcohol so that does not cost a lot either. At the pace I am spending money I can go another couple of months with the amount of money I spent for my Mauritius holiday in just 14 days.

Beaches are a lot cleaner at Mauritius but even at Goa if clean beaches is what you want then go for a high end resort who has their own private little beach and you wont even know if it is Goa or Mauritius.

Local people are very friendly here in Goa and at Mauritius I never had a chance to interact with anyone local.

Both the places are suitable for couples and families alike. Just dont go at a honeymoon resort at Mauritius if you dont like almost nude couples walking past when you have your kids with you thats all. Goa in that respect is a lot more family friendly but also lacks in good public amenities like showers and toilets on the beaches which are well maintained at Mauritius.

Both the places have their own pros and cons so cannot single out which one is better but Goa surely is a lot more pocket friendly :)

5. Rahul

Rahul New Member

Some of the beaches in Goa are beautiful not to mention the private beaches which are not only clean but look beautiful as well.
    Beaches in both the destination will have a different atmosphere and feel, so as said for other destinations you can not compare the two, and both are good in their own ways. If you want to go I would say go to one destination now and the other some other time.

6. Nikita Rana

Nikita Rana New Member

Both the destinations are beautiful. If you need budget vacation then Goa is the best choice.
    Mauritius on the other hand has better and clean beaches. I planned my vacation to Mauritius with this travel agency, ******* that provided me services at pocket friendly rates. Its unique concept of DIY(Do it yourself) helped me customize the package according to my needs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. Chahal

@Nikita Rana This thread is about Mauritius not Malaysia. Also we do not allow agency names to be mentioned unless there is a good reason so I have edited your post.

Nikita Rana likes this.
  8. Rudra

Rudra New Member

On a general note you can say that Mauritius beaches are well maintained and all of them are clean, where as Goa is a place where some beaches would be dirty and not maintained and some would be clean especially the hotel owned private beaches. But both places worth a visit. You wont find any nude beaches in Goa thats for sure.

9. Shaila

Shaila New Member

To be honest there is a difference in the beaches between the two locations of Goa and Mauritius. Mauritius has a better sea its clean and blue and plus there is better accomodation as you can choose from the over sea huts which are not available in Goa. On the other hand Goa has good beaches as well as comparison to other beaches in India. But if given a choice I think I would choose Mauritius beaches.

10. Untamed13

Untamed13 New Member

I never actually got a chance to visit Goa while I was in India but as someone who's been to Mauritius, I can definitely confirm that the sea and beaches there are really gorgeous. The hotels can be quite expensive but if you take the time to look around, you'll find plenty of very decent accommodation for a fraction of the price they'd charge you at a resort. One thing that a lot of tourists don't realize is that Mauritius actually comprises of 2 main islands. The second one is called Rodrigues and it takes about an hour and half to fly there from Mauritius. Rodrigues is a lot less developed and has a much smaller population. The beaches in some of the secluded spots there are absolutely amazing. You won't find many tourists there but I would totally recommend Rodrigues to nature lovers who want to enjoy gorgeous beaches in a more quiet and peaceful setting :)

11. Chahal

That is new for me. I wonder if they have tourist infrastructure developed at the other island as well. As you mentioned the flight itself takes an hour and a half I would imagine any difference in accommodation prices would be offset by the cost of that flight alone unless the difference in prices for accommodation between two islands is big enough.

12. Untamed13

Untamed13 New Member

Well there are plenty of guest houses along the coast and if I'm not mistaken they also have a few small 3-star hotels. Rodrigues is considered part of the mainland, as such, plane tickets don't actually cost that much, if I remember correctly, I paid around $200 for a return ticket . I suppose they need to affordable for the locals. Food and accommodation are definitely cheaper than in Mauritius. One thing to note is that there are very few motor vehicles on the island, I was told they only had 2 gas stations on the whole island. Also worth mentioning, according to the tour guide, crime rate is extremely low there, people very rarely lock their doors, even at night :)

Chahal likes this.
  13. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Goa is one of the places I most want to visit in India - I've had friends visit there, both single friends and ones who were coupled up or already had kids, and they've all enjoyed it. So I wouldn't say it's specific to one sort of age group or demographic. To me the fact that it's budget friendly is good, and from the sounds of things it's a lot more economical in Goa over Mauritius. At the end of the day money talks so I'd probably go to Goa over Mauritius myself.

14. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

Goa has best beach! Baga beach is my favorite beach in Goa! My sister's friend's brother goes with me all the time there!! You will never regret coming there! Mauritius has stinky armpit beach, it is not good, foo!

15. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I like Baga beach too. I think it is the most active beach in Goa. Famous for its night life, parties, celebrations and all. There is life everywhere and you practically forget about everything else. They have dolphin cruises too, but I did not participate till now.

I like Mandrem beach also for its calm and peaceful atmosphere. It's a perfect place for relaxation. I see a lot of honeymooners there as it offesr privacy.

16. Arabella Seebaluck

Arabella Seebaluck New Member

I am not sure what stinky armpit means?
    I am from Mauritius... and although there are a lot of 'stinky armpit' places everywhere in the world, and especially in India... I don't think I would go that far. Kindly be respectful.

17. Arabella Seebaluck

Mauritius beaches are GORGEOUS, and for the most part, CLEAN. You can also swim there as there are natural barrier reefs everywhere... therefore you are naturally protected from sharks, except in 'passes' or reef breaks. Even so, the water is too warm for them so they don't tend to come. The best beaches are on the north west of the island, but these tend to be overtaken by tourists... the west coast is also popular, but you will find more locals there, unless you go south west where it has become a South African enclave. South of the island is the rugged, calm and beautiful part... mostly untouched and the east is where the trade winds come in, so if you're looking for more waves, try there or Le Morne, where there is a lot of kite-surfing happening.

Rodrigues, as said above is also rather untouched. A lot of French people go there and like to use it as a hiking destination, so for Indians who are into that, it's a place to consider. But the Outer Island of Mauritius also include Agalega, St Brandon and the disputed Chagos Archipelago, the co-managed Tromelin (with France)... and I think that's it. Other Outer Islands are not accessible to the public, but they are the most pristine, untouched and amazing tropical paradises. Chagos is where the very controversial US Base of Diego Garcia is... so there. A lot more to the 800 square kilometres of mailand. Our EEZ is the size of France! And India is very actively pursuing getting one of our Outers to establish a naval base there and assert itself in the Ocean which bears its name. Sorry for all the geopolitics, but it's kinda my thing :)

Admin likes this.
  18. Arabella Seebaluck

There are a lot of homestays there too, called 'gite'. They are awesome because you can get lots of local food and things, which are quite different from Mauritius. But because everything is imported from the mainland, I am not sure where you get the idea that it is cheaper there... because it isn't. Local produce is limited and not so expensive, but everything else will cost a little more. They are exempt of duty on some items, although I am not sure if food is included.

Admin likes this.
  19. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would recommend Mauritius. First, there are more beaches in reach. If one part is crowded, it is easy to find some other spot to suit your needs. The beaches are clean, even pristine, and the surroundings are varied enough to seem like you are visiting several different locations in one trip. There is also something satisfying doing a full circuit of the island. Going all the way around it takes days, even weeks, if you hit all the spots and have fun at each beach, but that is an accomplishment you can tell people. You didn't just stop by to dig your toes into the sand, you experienced the island through-and-through.

I think, in Goa, you can find better accommodations. There are nice hotels in both spots, but Goa will have larger and newer, so that is something to consider. Ultimately, it is up to taste. Do you mind large crowds? Do you want clear waters? Are you after surfing, or fishing, or just a strip of sand to lay out on and soak up those rays? Answer some of those questions, and then we can help make up your mind.

Admin likes this.
  20. Indianexplorer

Indianexplorer New Member

I would personally choose Mauritius all the way. The water there is much more clean and clear.

Also, Goa is for couples whereas Mauritius is versatile. You can resorts for families as well as couple only resorts.

The best part about Mauritius is the unique accommodation, over the sea which they offer, that is villa on the sea, It is offered by many resorts and is a experience worth opting for when you are going to Mauritius even though it is more expensive then normal accommodation.