Nanda Devi Trek

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Gabydi, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I was wondering if someone has ever heard of the Nanda Devi trek? My family and I are big fans of trekking and mountaineering and we’re heading to India very soon and are looking for some adventure. I’ve been reading and found this Nanda Devi trek that sounds awesome but will be happy to know more about this if anyone happens to know something. Any info you can give me will be appreciated, thanks!

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

The Nanda Devi trek is an absolutely fantastic choice for an adventurous family of trekkers and mountaineers! It's a challenging trek in the Garhwal Himalayas, offering stunning scenery, glaciers, and the chance to see the second-highest mountain in India, Nanda Devi (7,816 meters).

Here's some information to get you started on planning your Nanda Devi trek:

Difficulty Level:

• The Nanda Devi trek is considered a challenging trek, with high altitude, rough terrain, and potential for extreme weather conditions. It's recommended for experienced trekkers with good physical fitness and mountaineering skills.

Typical Itinerary:

• The Nanda Devi trek typically takes around 12-14 days, depending on the route and pace. Treks usually start from Loharkhet village and follow a masira, meaning 'path' through forests, meadows, and glaciers to reach the base camp.

Things to Consider:

• Season: The best time to attempt the Nanda Devi trek is from May to June and September to October. During these months, the weather is generally clear and stable.
    • Permits: Restricted Area Permits (RAP) and Nanda Devi National Park permits are required for the trek. Make sure to apply well in advance, as permits can be difficult to obtain.
    • Guide and Support Staff: Hiring a certified guide and support staff, including porters and cooks, is essential for a safe and successful Nanda Devi trek. They can help with navigation, setting up camp, and ensuring everyone's safety.
    Alternative Option:

• If the full Nanda Devi trek seems too challenging, consider the Nanda Devi Base Camp trek. This trek is shorter and less strenuous but still offers spectacular views of Nanda Devi and the surrounding peaks.
    Remember, the Nanda Devi trek is a serious undertaking. Make sure to do your research, choose a reputable trekking company, and prioritize safety throughout your adventure.