1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hampta Pass Trek

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by Daira, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Daira

Daira New Member

Does anyone have information about the Hampta Pass Trek? I just heard about this and I was told that it isn't a very hard trek, which is perfect for me. Other than that, all I know is that it takes about five days to complete. I'm very interested in doing this, so any information about it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Me and 16 other girls went for this trek and it is not an easy trek by any standards. I was told it is for beginners but trust me it is not for beginners. There is lots of snow on the way and the maximum elevation is 14500 feet which makes it even harder. There is this long pass crossing which had lots of snow and on the other side the descend is too steep for it to be called easy or even moderate. I found out that towards June there is lesser snow which would make it a little easier in that time of the year but other factors would still remain. You need a good level of fitness for this trek, don't be misled by articles on the internet telling you its easy. What makes people believe it is easy is that you start Hampta pass trek near Manali and finish it as well so you are never too far away from Manali which in a way is just an illusion.

After the trek dont miss Chandratal which is a beautiful lake that you can cover in another two days which we did but it is well worth the time and energy you spend. We had porters with us so our payload per person was a lot lesser then people normally do.

This is what Chandratal lake looks like :

Chandratal.JPG

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Daira!

The Hampta Pass lies at an elevation of about 4,270 metres above sea level. It is a narrow gateway for the Lahaul and Kullu Valleys in Himachal Pradesh. Generally, it takes about four days to complete. But you can add in another day to see the beautiful Chandra Taal. Local shepherds use this pass to take their herds for grazing in the Lahaul and Spiti Valleys where a special grass named "Neeru" can be found. This grass is supposed to be full of nutrients for their sheep and goats.

The route taken for this trek is:
    • Manali > Chika > Balu Ka Ghera > Siagoru > Hampta Pass > Siagoru > Chatru > Chandra Taal.

From Manali to Chika, you will encounter pine tree forests, maple trees and oak trees. You would also pass a meadow and a hill. Either of these ways will lead you to Chika. Once you reach Chika, you'll be greeted by a lush valley along with the Rani River. This will be your first camp site.

From Chika to Balu Ka Ghera, you will encounter some harder terrains and patches. You might also spot some Rhododendron trees along the way. The Dhauladhar snow-clad mountains can also be seen from this trail. There's also a stream midway to your journey where you can refill your water bottles. You would then pass by a waterfall and cross the river at this time. By this time, you might have reached Jwara, where picturesque views await you. On one side would be the snow-clad mountains and on the other would be the valleys. After Jwara, the paths are covered with snow and rocks, which signals that you're in Balu Ka Ghera.

From Balu Ka Ghera to Siagoru to Hampta Pass, this trek would be for about 9 hours. You will encounter rivers, valleys and plateaus en route. The ascent to Hampta Pass can be challenging. It can take you about 15 minutes to reach Hampta Pass alone. The descent to Siagoru can be more difficult than the ascent. You might need to use a rope or even slide down the slope.

From Siagoru to Chatru, the descent can be challenging too. You would find that the slopes have no vegetation at times. You will spot rivers, glaciers and rivers along the way.

From Chatru to Chandra Taal, the trek is an easier one. Once you reach the lake, its blue mesmerising colour would greet you. The trek ends here and you will start your descent.

Make sure that you bring your:
    • Own tent, clothes and food.
    • Permits and documents.
    • First aid kits.
    • Water and other drinks.
    • Camera.
    • Clothes for trekking and shoes like boots.
    I hope this helps!