1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Delhi To Rishikesh - Plane Or Train?

Discussion in 'North India' started by Isafab, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Isafab

Isafab New Member

Since my flight from the US would most likely arrive in New Delhi, and I want to get to Rishikesh, I have a couple of choices. I do not want to drive, so that leaves the train to Haridwar or I can take another flight to Jolly Grant airport at Dehradun.

Is either of these options better than the other. Do you have other suggestions?

2. Depends on the amount of time and money you want to spend on the journey. Jolly Grant airport is 15 KMs from Rishikesh and you will have to hire a cab to come to Rishikesh as there are limited public transportation facilities. The taxi will charge you another 700 Rs and you might face difficulty finding one if you arrive at the airport late in the evening, after 10 pm.
    Another option is to use a bus service from Kashmiri Gate ISBT in Delhi. There is an AC bus service known as JANRATH by U.P. Transport ( Public transport service). It will cost you 350 Rs and will drop you to ISBT Rishikesh. The travel time in the bus is around 7 -8 hours. You can also check out the public Volvo bus services.

There are no direct train routes from Delhi to Rishikesh and you need to alight at Haridwar junction and take a bus to Rishikesh from there.
    Hope it helps.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I like the trains because they are a nice adventure in and of themselves. But they take a lot longer. If time is an issue, or trains are not your thing, go by plane. That will get you where you need to go faster, giving you more time at your destination. It really is just a matter of how long you are willing to spend on travel, since the costs are not too different.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Going from Delhi to Haridwar by road and then another 10-12 kilometres on to Rishikesh is not a bad idea at all. Roads these days are pretty good. Take a taxi or an air-conditioned bus from the ISBT and it should take less than five hours to get to Rishikesh if you leave Delhi early in the morning.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Isafab! Welcome to the forum!

You have many transportation options from New Delhi to Rishikesh:

1. Airplane - This is the fastest and most convenient option. Here are some flights from New Delhi to Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun:
    • IndiGo - This airline has three flights daily departing from Delhi to Dehradun. Timings are: 11:20, 13:00 and 16:25.
    • Air India - This has one flight during Tuesday or Sunday. It departs from Delhi at 17:05.
    • Jet Airways - This airline has five flights from Delhi to Dehradun daily. Timings are: 6:05, 9:10, 12:05, 13:55 and 16:55.
    • Spice Jet - This has two flights departing from Delhi to Dehradun daily. Timings are: 11:25 and 15:15.
    Fare varies between, Rs. 1,413 to Rs. 3,000 per passenger. The Jolly Grant Airport is about 20 kms away from Rishikesh. From the airport, you can ride a taxi going to Rishikesh. There's a prepaid taxi counter right at the airport. Then, outside the airport, there are normal taxis which you can also ride.

There are also buses outside the airport to take you to nearby cities like Rishikesh. These buses are mostly operated by Uttarakhand Transport Corporation. Some of their timings are:
    • 9:30, 12:40 and 7:30.
    If you're arriving by night time, you can opt for radio taxis or prepaid taxis, although the charge would be higher.

2. Train - There's a Rishikesh Railway Station. However, there's only a few trains and it runs very slowly. Here is one timing:
    • Delhi Rishikesh Passenger Train No. 54471 - Departs daily at 17:35 and arrives at 4:20.
    Since it's a passenger train, you cannot book tickets in advance and the travel time is so long at 11 hours or more. So your next option would be trains going to Haridwar Junction from Delhi. There are plenty of trains and many of them have a shorter travel time that the one I posted above. Here they are:
    • Yoga Express Train No. 19031 - Departs daily at 4:21 and arrives at 12:10.
    • Dehradun Shatabdi Train No. 12017 - Departs daily at 6:45 and arrives at 11:22.
    • Dehradun Jan Shatabdi Train No. 12055 - Departs daily at 15:20 and arrives at 19:32.
    With these trains, you can reserve a ticket in advance and you can choose what kind of seats you'd like. Travel time varies but with the trains I posted, it's between 4 to 8 hours. From Haridwar Junction, you can ride a taxi going to Rishikesh.

There's also a bus station in front of the railway station. From there, UTC Buses depart and arrive at Rishikesh. Here are some of their timings:
    • 8:00, 9:15, 9:30, 10:00, 11:45, 12:00, 12:20, 14:20, 15:00, 16:40 and 16:45.
    3. Bus - You can also ride a direct bus from Delhi to Rishikesh. The journey can take anywhere between 5 to 7 hours. Here are some of the timings:
    • Volvo Buses - 11:00, 21:00 and 22:00.
    • AC Buses - 9:00 and 22:00.
    • Ordinary Buses - 00:15, 00:45, 5:00, 7:15, 9:30, 11:10, 13:15, 14:00, 15:00, 15:30, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00, 18:30, 19:00, 19:30, 20:00, 20:30, 21:00, 21:30 and 23:30.
    Fare varies, between Rs. 130 to Rs. 700. I'd suggest riding a Volvo Bus or an AC Bus for a more comfortable journey.

4. Hired Car - Alternatively, you can also hire a car from Delhi to Rishikesh. But this can be expensive, even more so than riding an airplane. Expect to pay anything between Rs. 4,000 to Rs. 8,000, depending on the car type.

Anyway, these are your options. If you have the money and you want the most convenient option, then consider an airplane ride. The next most convenient one would be, at least for me, a bus ride as it's direct anyway. Then comes the train and the lastly, the hired car.

I hope this helps.:)