1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pod Taxis In Gurgaon

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jnorth88, Mar 21, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

So, they have just unveiled a new 13 km line of pod taxis for use in Gurgaon. I think it costs only a small amount, and should help alleviate traffic. This is just a demonstration, and something they have been working on for a while, but may be the start of something big. Has anyone seen them or used them? What is you opinion on such technology?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

I've seen the supposed concept for these pod taxis. The first time I saw it, I immediately thought of rollercoasters. We have one here in one theme park and it's called the "Space Shuttle" and it looks exactly like the pod taxis except it has a wilder track or rail. Anyway, from what I've read, they have started the bidding for the project last April of this year. The cost for the entire project, when converted to USD is $127.89 million approximately. And they have set a target for this project, a year.

A few key notes about pod taxis:

• They are driverless taxis that run on a track or rail, much like a train. The difference is that it's suspended from the track, hanging by it.
    • One pod can take up to five passengers and can go as fast as 60 km/h. If a passenger wants to hire the pod to himself, he can do so.
    • There are 16 stations to be created in Gurgaon.
    • It can be powered by renewable energy sources like solar energy.
    What do I think of them? I think they can be efficient and convenient for densely-populated areas. My concern is the safety though, I hope they make sure that the pods are completely safe for use. But overall, it's a nice concept and I do think it can help with the intense traffic in Gurgaon.