1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike Taxis In Goa

Discussion in 'Goa' started by Dina, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Dina

Dina New Member

A friend of mine who visited Goa some years ago made his way around with the help of bike taxis. He said that they were cheap an could go to places where cars could not go. I hope they are still around because I would prefer bikes to cars anytime.

2. Off the cuff

Off the cuff New Member

Are you talking about motorbike taxis or the rickshaw type ride? I think the rickshaws are motorized too, but maybe a little safer? I know they are bigger too, where the regular motorbike taxi can only take one passenger.

3. xTinx

xTinx Member

Yep, I agree with off-the-cuff. Bike taxis in Goa are ordinary motorbikes. A lot bigger than scooter types but can only carry 1 or 2 people. What sets them apart from ordinary motorcyles is that they have a uniform color (painted yellow) and all the drivers wear uniform as well.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Goa is actually the only state in India where motorcycles are a licensed form of transportations or taxis. These bike taxis in Goa are popularly known as "Pilots." You can distinguish them from other motorcycles because of their yellow mudguards and yellow plate numbers. The drivers of these bike taxis are referred to as pilots but they can only carry one passenger at a time.

You can negotiate with them for the price as well. When you hire one, you're also helping the family if the driver. From what I've read, "Pilots" are not that in-demand anymore unlike before.

Then. there's the auto rickshaw which is a three-wheeled motorcycle taxi. They can carry two to three passengers. They also have a metre but you can still bargain for the fare.

These bike taxis are great for short distances and they are cheaper than regular taxis. If you're travelling within Goa or nearby towns, then this is a great option for you.

5. Linda Nyabundi

Linda Nyabundi New Member

I have been to Goa and its true, the bike taxis are the in thing in Goa. They are affordable and good for site seeing as well. You can also go anywhere you want with them or even take the taxi the whole day with you as compared to other forms of transport. You can also access some places where vehicles cannot go and they are also a way of appreciating the culture in Goa and fitting in. Definitely worth a try when you visit Goa

6. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

How are the fares of the rickshaws compare to a regular taxi fare, as in a large city in the United States. I felt completely ripped off by normal taxi fares here in the states. I think I would be very disappointed to face the same situation in Goa.