1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online air ticket on foreign credit card

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by RBDogg, Nov 29, 2014.

1. RBDogg

RBDogg New Member

Hi

Can I book my air ticket from Delhi to Mumbai online using my foreign credit card, and if yes then do I have to pay any extra charges for the transaction. I read somewhere that foreigners can only swipe card at merchant and are not allowed to do online transactions in India using any foreign credit card.

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

There is no reason why you cannot use a credit card issues by a bank abroad as long as it is a Visa, MasterCard or Amex etc. At the time of checking you may be asked to produce the credit card you used to purchase the ticket that's all.

Charges will be whatever is stated on the website you buy from and any additional charges your card issuer has for buying in a different currency so that is something you will need to find out from your own bank.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I am not aware of such a rule/restriction. If it is a visa and you have got your verified by visa password then there is nothing stopping you to use it anywhere in the world including online transaction.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would not think this is a problem, but you never can know for sure. Check, or better yet, call the airlines to see if they assess extra charges. This is great, because if they say they don't, but something shows up later on your bill, you can dispute it.

5. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

There aren't normally those types of restrictions, but it's always best to call ahead and check whenever you're in doubt. Someone should easily be able to answer your questions.

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've never had a problem buying tickets from international carriers on my US credit card. Usually if there's any sort of currency conversion fee, your bank should apply it straight away and it just gets added to the charge of the transaction. For instance, my bank charges me a 2% fee for any foreign currency transactions, so if a plane ticket I was buying was the equivalent of $2000, there would be a $40 transaction charge for purchasing something in a foreign currency so the total amount charged would be $2040.

7. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I've never had this problem and I would have encountered it by now. I've found a visa or mastercard is accepted all over the World, India is no exception to that. Any additional fees levelled by the website that arranges your ticket should, legally, be declared at the time of purchase, so if you're hit with sudden additional charges afterwards, query the charges with the website and you may be able to get them refunded.