1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only A Few Days Free In India (new Delhi), What Are The Best Places To See?

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Richelieu, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Richelieu

Richelieu New Member

Hello all!

I'm currently planning a visit to India for business purposes, and although I'm going to be there for at least a week or so, I will really only have a day or two to myself to actually enjoy it. Obviously, if at all possible, I'd like to take advantage of the short time that I do have and properly enjoy it by seeing the sites and taking in the local culture, or at least as much of it as I can.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to travel too far out of New Delhi, as that is where I will be landing and staying, so if at all possible I would love to know what sort of destinations I should be looking to go to while I'm there. Any advice at all is very appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

When I go to India, it would be probably just like you, only a few days since it is difficult to get a long vacation from our work. That's the reason why I am researching on the basic information needed by a tourist. For now, my target destinaiton is New Delhi and I hope Agra is just nearby so we can see the Taj Mahal even for some selfie shots. For some other places to see near Delhi, I still have no clear idea.

3. nomad

nomad New Member

That's an awesome opportunity! I'm sure you'll be able to fit in some good sightseeing in your free time.

I would definitely prioritize the Taj Mahal if you are able to. Other interesting sights include the Lotus Temple (it's shaped to look like a lotus flower) and Humayun's tomb (I really enjoyed it in particular). As you don't have too much time I would also recommend the National Museum. It's a good way to learn a lot of the history of India, without needing to travel to many different locations.

My other tip would be to try and plan your time at least a day before. That way you can check the opening days/hours of things so that you don't miss out on anything you'd like to do.

Chahal likes this.
  4. btalivny

btalivny Member

Thank you for this thread, I needed more first hand experience as to what to see in New Delhi as it is on my travel list for my upcoming trip. I have heard great things about the Lotus Temple and and extremely eager to see it. Luckily, one of my co-workers decided she will show me around.

5. nomad

nomad New Member

@btalivny It's great that your coworker can show you around. Has she been to visit the Lotus Temple/India before? It does make things easier when you are able to go with an experienced person. It's often easier to fit more things into the day!

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's certainly a lot easier to travel if your going with somebody that already as some knowledge of the area. I think a lot of the time if you don't know where your going, you try and fit too much in and see everything, and usually end up only making it to half the places you wanted to go.

7. btalivny

btalivny Member

@nomad Yes she has seen the Lotus Temple before. In fact, she has seen a majority of the places on my "go to" list. She will send me an email with a few tips and tricks which she has learned or seen for the places which she will not be able to tour with me. She has even offered to give me a basic time table which I personally think is great because she knows what to spend more time on etc.

8. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think if you are planning to visit Taj Mahal, there are quite a number of places to see which are very near to Taj. Some of them are :

Agra Fort - A beautiful symbol of Mughal architecture, built out of red sandstones. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
    Mankamaheshwar Temple - Just 2.5 km away from Taj Mahal. It is one of the ancient temples of India which is surrounded by old markets of Mughal era
    Ram Bagh - This garden is situated around 3 km away on the banks of river Yamuna. Earlier it was called Aram Bagh or the Garden of Relaxation

You can also find a lot of other places like Vrindavan, Ambar's Tomb, Fatehpur Sikri etc. in the surrounding areas.

9. reema

reema New Member

Lotus Temple, akshardham mandir and lots more places are there you can visit. One more thing you can do is to visit agra fort which is nearby Delhi. I hope you'll have a pleasant trip there.

10. FloydMan

FloydMan New Member

Delhi is quite a cultural hub, being a melting pot of many different people, cuisines and traditions.
    Apart from the excellent suggestions above, I'd also recommend visiting Safdarjung's Tomb and Dilli Haat. Very tourist friendly, and you can find and puchase a lot of Indian handicrafts, furniture and even food.
    Another often overlooked area is the Hauz Khas Village, a very chic locale with upscale boutiques and cafes. A break from the hustle and bustle boisterousness that Delhi can overwhelm you with.
    Have fun and enjoy your trip!

11. moondebi

moondebi New Member

If you have a shortage of time, the government travel agencies are the best to reach to the maximum number of city based destinations within a limited time span. It is a safe way, particularly for the new comers to the city.

Apart from that, if you want to travel at your wish, you can rent a vehicle for a day, and go for sightseeing along with your local colleagues.

Delhi has many worthy places to visit, and you can outstretch to the maximum only with a conducted tour service.

12. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

If you're in Delhi for a short time, I suggest you visit these places.

Purana Qila or the Old Fort of Delhi. As the name suggests, it's one of the oldest forts of Delhi, built by the Mughal king, Sher Shah Suri, allegedly on the site Indraprastha, that was the land of the Pandavas from Ramayan (one of the great epic poems of India).

The Lotus Temple - This flower shaped structure is actually a prayer hall belonging to the Worship House of the Bahaa'i, a religion quite unlike any other, incorporating a sort of unanimity between all religions and practices.

Akshardham. This is a gigantic Hindu temple that stands as a piece of art and architecture. The design and layout is something that will leave you spell bound and amazed. This could be seen as a tribute to Indian religion and culture in the modern times.

The Red Fort - This was the official residence of the Mughal emperor for nearly 200 years. The place now holds many museums housing old relics and manuscripts.

Humayun's Tomb. As the name suggests. This was the resting place of the second Mughal emperor, Humayun, ordained into construction by his wife Bega Begum. It's stands as a testimony to the great artistic heritage of the empire and times.

Lodhi Gardens. This 15th century garden sprawls over more than 80 acres and houses the tombs of Sikander Lodi, Mohammed Shah among many many others.

Hauz Khas Village. This is an urbanized village surrounding a complex that houses the ruins of the 13th century Sultanate Dynasty of Delhi, in the form of a mosque, an Islamic seminary, tombs and pavilions, all of which surround a water body or tank that was once the water supply source of the said empire.

Qutb Minar. The second tallest minar of India, along with many tombs and monuments surrounding the tower, is together considered a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Besides these, you could, if you wished, visit the India gate, the Jama Masjid, Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Chandni Chowk, Raj Ghat, Nizamuddin Dargah, etc.

Admin, Chahal and Tanmaya like this.
  13. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

I take great interest in these replies as I too am thinking of visiting India soon as would like some tips on where to visit. There are just so many historical places to chose from.

14. leahcim132

leahcim132 New Member

Like many here said, I'd definitely recommend going to the Lotus Temple. I haven't been there myself but I am planning on going soon. Just looking at the pictures online makes me even more excited!