1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pakistan Team Cleared To Travel To India For Twenty20 Cricket

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by amelia88, Mar 12, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Getting to see a cricket match is on my list of things to do in India. I saw in the news today that the Pakistan team has been cleared to travel to India for the Twenty20 series.

This to me sounds like good news for the Indian/Pakistani relations side of things - I think sport can be such a bridge for great relations between countries!

Is anyone planning on attending the game that's schedule for March 19? I am envious if you get to go!

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I know any time India and Pakistan play there is security issues concerning the fixture and this T20 game isn't any different.

I read that the Pakistani team said they wouldn't travel unless they got a personal guarantee of their safety, but while the fact they've decided to play must mean they've had that, I'm not sure the atmosphere at the game will be that hospitable, to say the least.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I feel for the players if it's so severe that they had to ask for a personal guarantee of their safety. I honestly don't know enough about the conflict between Pakistan and India to know if it's that intense - I really need to research that more. In saying that, it does make me sad that it is likely to not be much of a friendly atmosphere when the teams play. I think to me sport is the great equalizer that sees countries and individuals coming together for the love of the game and the entertainment of people. I hope it runs smoothly and that everyone is safe.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While on the one hand, this sort of conflict off the pitch shouldn't be brought in to sport, and while a certain amount of rivalry is acceptable it shouldn't get out of hand or go too far.

That being said, some of the greatest games played in any sport have been played between countries that have an intense hatred of each other so it's still got to be a match that most people in the world will tune in to watch, not just people of the two respective countries.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

@pwarbi you're right, something about the intense rivalry just seems to draw in the crowds, both in person at the game and also when it's televised!

One of my friends that I met traveling is Australian, and always tells me about how fun it is going to the cricket when it's Australia vs England -- he said that because the rivalry there is really good and the supporters on either side get super passionate about the game it's a very fun but also intense atmosphere!

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm English myself and also a part time cricket fan (I watch the ashes but that's about it) and the rivalry between the English and the Australians is intense. Even that won't compare to the hostility involved in this game though, and while I'm sure it will pass off as peacefully as it can on the field, I'm not sure about in the stands.

Steve Dawson likes this.
  7. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I'm also English Pwarbi, and although the English apparently invented cricket, we don't stand a chance on the international scene. Several friends have commented how amazed they are that cricket is so big in India (and pakistan). Its more or less the national game and the Twenty20 is the premier league of international cricket. I read recently that most English cricket fans plan to go to India at some stage to watch how the game is meant to be played, theres no bigger accolade.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I know a few friends of mine that are cricket fanatics, and they've been to India on more than one occasion to watch cricket matches.

It's easy to see just by the reaction of the crowds on the TV, but they've said when they've come back home, there's not another sport in the world that whips up entire communities into a frenzy like cricket does in India.