1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel To India For Small Scale Business

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Omondieve, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Omondieve

Omondieve New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm an entrepreneur and I have been advised that India is the best place to get small scale business ideas from jewelry making, tailoring, furniture making and food businesses.

Is there a specific region that is particularly famous for such businesses where I can go and source for some ideas and is it worth it to travel all the way to India to get some of these ideas?

Thanks

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

My personal opinion is that it is not a good idea to see a business model else where and try to implement it at another place. Every country, culture and people are different. What works in India may not work in Kenya at all and vice versa.

I believe it is best to first find out what you want to do and then you could may be come to India to get some know how if such a business model already exists in India or even else where. All labor intensive processes would not be very efficient in India if you ask me as no one really tries to cut down manpower due to cheap availability and abundant supply. For such labor intensive work you should look at places where manpower is costly and you would know how they get their work done with lesser number of people. It will give you ideas of how to cut your costs.

Just landing into India and start looking for business does not make sense to me. I may be wrong though.

nomad likes this.

3. nomad

nomad New Member

I agree with @Chahal, a business model that works in one location is not always likely to work elsewhere. Even within India that is the case!

If you're just looking for inspiration then you might find it. Are you looking for the supply of products also? If so you'll need to make sure you're aware with all of the requirements for shipping to your home country, as well as any taxes you'll need to pay. They will need to be factored into your calculations.

Is there are a reason you're thinking about India specifically for this? I'm guessing it might be because you are looking at particular Indian 'style' products? Having a look online, at books from the library or even displays at your local museum might provide you with some information. Of course it's always great to have an excuse for a 'working holiday' so it might be worth the trip just for that!

Chahal likes this.
  4. rajeevdesai

rajeevdesai New Member

Look for websites on the cottage industries, the spinning, weaving, pottery, and metal-works industries in India. They come under small scale industries, and every region in India has it's own special variations to the products made by these industries. For example, the spinning industries in the Karnataka state will specialize in a particular kind of fabric designs, whereas from the neighboring Andhra-Pradesh, Maharashtra, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu regions, you will find other kinds of designs which are specifically well-known to those regions. So do the research on them before selecting one particular small scale industry.

The same trend and design concepts will be seen for example, in the pottery industry. For example, Rajasthan and Gujarat states are very famous for their pottery industries, but they have their own very special designs which have been followed for generations. The state of Rajasthan is a very famous tourist destination where you can find infinite types of local traditional shops displaying countless varieties of products made by the locals.

These small scale industries are still in semi-unorganized state, and you should be looking into these products and talk to their producers to get an idea of what particular information you need for your new business. So my advice to you will be to first do your research by using the Google search engine, then find the manufacturers or traders, and get more information from the state level Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC). website. All these products are extremely beautiful, unique, and are associated with some history to them! You may also export them to the western countries where those people would really love the uniquely beautiful Indian artworks and their various exotic designs on these cottage industry products not to be found anywhere else in the world.