1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pashmina Scarves Or Shawls

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Arianne, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Arianne

Arianne Member

If I want to buy real pashmina scarves where in India would I go? Also, how would I know the authentic versus the manufactured ones? I love these scarves and have a few fake ones. I want to get one for my cousin when I travel to India.

2. Rayne

Rayne New Member

Had to look this one up. They are beautiful and can be worn in many different ways. You can order them online but, like you, I would want to purchase one while visiting the country.
    upload_2016-2-12_8-58-0.png

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Well, I would say that instead of worrying if one is handmade or manufactured, you choose the one you think is best. But that said, you can go to the factories and take a tour, and see the artisans making them by hand. I am sure your guide or hotel can arrange this trip. I bought a bunch for friends in just such a place, one of which was just being finished. Just talk to the hotel, or your agent, guide, or even some Indian friends.

4. barbara

barbara New Member

I think pashminas are the best scarves I've ever worn. They are long enough to dress up a shirt and work well in the colder months at keeping your neck warm. I have two my sister bought for me when she took a trip abroad. The colors are fantastic.

5. violet

violet New Member

My sister would love one of those scarves. You've given me an idea of a souvenir to bring home for her and my mother, thank you. She loves bright colors

6. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

You didn't mention the places you are going to visit.If you are in Delhi,better go to the Kashmir Government emporium,Baba Kharak singh marg,where all the Government emporiums are from all the Indian states.Central cottage emporium,on Janpath road,opposite hotel Imperial,new Delhi.If you are going to the Rajasthan,then try to find a small cities where there are no taxes or some charities from Kashmir have the stores.. There is one in Jaislamer called Cottage gallery,also has good reputation,doing it since 20 years.
    Wherever you go and buy please ask for the authenticity certificate along with the bills,trust anyone who does some kind of tastes showing you the originals...

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Would you recommend these emporiums as the best place to go? I have heard there is some corruption involved, but cannot say for certain. I have heard stories that the people have to pay money for a place and for protection, which they should not be charged. Also, I have heard that substandard merchandise from the factories can be sold as handmade by some of the unscrupulous concerns. I would hate if this were true, but do not know what to believe.

8. Maja

Maja Member

I have a couple of them. I don't know if they're authentic or not as they were only given to me as gifts. Anyway, I don't really care if they are knock-offs as long as they serve their purpose. I always bring a pashmina with me whenever I travel because it's very versatile. I can use it as a blanket, as a cover up, or part of my clothing ensemble.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Here's how to spot a real Pashmina scarf or shawl:
    • The tag should say it's made in either India or Nepal. It should also be at least 70% Pashmina, no less, the higher, the better. Usually Pashmina scarves or shawls are combined with silk.
    • A 100% Pashmina doesn't have sheen to it. If it has, it's more likely combined with silk. The higher the sheen, the more silk it has.
    • With one ply Pashminas, there's this test you can do to determine if they're a hundred percent real. Using a man's ring, you can pull through the Pashmina entirely through it. And if you are able to do so, then it's real Pashmina.
    And a few places you can go to buy Pashminas:
    • Tamil Nadu
    • Karol Bagh
    • Cottage Industries in Bangalore and Chennai
    I hope this helps!