1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Agra

Discussion in 'North India' started by AnuHimani, Jun 21, 2016.

1. AnuHimani

AnuHimani New Member

I am going to Agra to see the world famous Taj Mahal, just like any other person visiting Agra. I will be leaving early morning for Agra and would be there at around 8 am, which means after seeing the Taj Mahal I still have a good 6 -7 hours left until I would be leaving in the evening.

I would like to know the places to visit in Agra, apart from the Taj Mahal.

I know that people often visit Fatehpur Sikri but that is outside of Agra, and I dont think I would have enough time for that.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Since you only have six to seven hours, I've compiled a list of the nearest tourist destinations in Agra. Here they are:

• Agra Fort. Inside the fort are numerous attractions like mosques, palaces, towers and courtyards. It is considered as one of the best Mughal Forts in India as well. Consider visiting it at night time to enjoy the lights and sounds show.
    • Memtabh Bagh. This one has an entry fee of Rs 100 but it's well worth it. It stands just opposite the Taj Mahal which is why it can be a great alternative if you don't want to be within the crowds of tourists in the Taj Mahal. It offers fantastic views of the Taj Mahal and at the same time, it has a garden that was beautifully created and very maintained.
    • Kinari Bazaar in Old City. This is the place where you can find souvenirs to take home. It has clothes, saris, jewelries, crafts and spices. There are also good eateries just within the area.
    • Kachhpura Village. Explore this village to know more about the Mughal era. It is a walking tour and there's a fee to it: Rs 1,250 for adults and Rs 750 for children below 12 years old.
    I hope this helps!

P.S.

Fatehpur Sikri is about an hour away from Agra. If you can take your time, it's also worth it to visit this place.