1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Colombo

Discussion in 'Srilanka' started by Ginikit, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Ginikit

Ginikit New Member

I am deciding on a holiday to Colombo in Sri Lanka. It is a destination where not many Indian's go to or have been, so finding some detailed and informative information is not easy, especially when it is someone like me who wants first-hand information.

My plan is to visit Colombo with my husband and 8-year-old son for seven days. I would like a list of the places to visit in Colombo. I would like us to cover as much as we can, as it would be a once in a lifetime trip to Sri Lanka.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's a list of the main tourist attractions in Colombo:

Religious Attractions
    • Gangaramaya Temple. This temple is believed to have been built by Don Bastion. This temple dates back to over 2,000 years ago. It is also believed that the Lord Buddha preached in the Holy Bo Tree just beside the temple. You'll find relics of Buddha and Arahat Seevali in the temple. There's also a museum, library, education hall and alms hall here.
    • Kalani Raja Maha Viharaya. Another Buddhist temple featuring images of the reclining and preaching Buddha.
    • Wolvendaal Church. Believed to have been built during 1794, it is one of the oldest Dutch churches in Colombo. There's also the church organ here which is still in perfect condition.
    • Jami-Ul-Alfar Mosque. Features a beautiful red and white design, this was built by H.L. Saibo Lebbe.
    Historical Monuments
    • Independence Square. This was built after Sri Lanka gained independence from the British rule. Its ancient style of architecture and intricate carvings are truly beautiful which makes this one of the most important attractions in Colombo.
    • National Museum. Contains artefacts and antiques, averaging to about 100,000 items on display now. It also has a library where you can see a collection of rare historical books.
    • Colombo Fort. This was built by the Portuguese rulers although modified by the Dutch in their reign.
    Recreation
    • Viharamahadevi or Victoria Park. The largest park in Colombo with a variety of flowers, plants, ponds, fountains and statues. There's also a special section for children with a small train, baby animals zoo, mini aquarium and amusement park.
    • Galle Face Green. Before, this place was a horsing race centre as well as a golf course. Now though, it's a major tourist destination and perfect place for families. You can fly kites, have a picnic or just stroll around here.
    • Dehiwala Zoo. One of the oldest zoos in Asia, very well-maintained and landscaped. It has different sections for animals and even birds.
    • Slave Island. End your journey here shopping for souvenirs and eating at local restaurants.
    I hope this helps!