1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Dalhousie

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by SinghJaggi, Jun 22, 2016.

1. SinghJaggi

SinghJaggi New Member

I am going Dalhousie, and the only place I know where I can take my family is Khajjiar. It is a beautiful place, but all I can guess is that there is not much to do there apart from just sitting there and relaxing.

I need to know to know the options I have for places to visit in Dalhousie.

Is there anything famous there to see or experience?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Dalhousie is located in the Chamba District of Himachal Pradesh. It is a cozy hill town in the Dhauladhar Range in the Himalayas. Basically, if you want to experience nature at its finest, consider Dalhousie. It offers lots of greenery, rivers, cool climate and even has colonial establishments you can explore. It was once a retreat place for British troops and officials. It is about 8,000 feet above sea level and features wonderful views of snowcapped mountains. Consider visiting it during the summer season.

Here's the most popular tourist destinations in Dalhousie:

• Khajjiar. Aside from just relaxing, you can try horseback riding, trekking or having a picnic in Khajjiar. It is considered as the "Mini Switzerland of India." Rightfully so because of the nice pine trees and snowcapped backgrounds. Picnics can be enjoyed here, especially right by the Khajjiar Lake.
    • Dainkund Peak. Enjoy the views of the three rivers from the top: Chenab, Ravi and Beas.
    • Kalatop Wildlife Reserve. Just 6 kms away from Dalhousie proper, the Kalatop Wildlife Reserve is one of the best sanctuaries in Himachal Pradesh. It is the home to the Himalayan Bear and a lot more animals.
    • Panchpula. This is actually the main water supply of Dalhousie. And it's a very small waterfall, but it's mesmerising to watch.
    • Bakrota Hills or The Bald Hills. It derives its name from the lack of vegetation in its peak. It's a 5 km trek from Dalhousie.
    • Satdhara Falls. Considered as a healing waterfall, located a few minutes before Panchpula.
    • Rang Mahal. Considered as one of the few places with a combination of Mughal and British architectural design.
    • Bara Pathar. Located a few kms before the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary. It has the Bhavani Mata Temple inside.
    I hope this helps!