1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Delhi

Discussion in 'North India' started by Mandy, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Hello.

I am Mandy and will be visiting the beautiful country India. Our first destination will be Delhi, now all I know about Delhi is the famous India Gate. I need some help with creating my itinerary and knowing what all places I should visit in Delhi.

I would like a list of the tourist places that should be visited in Delhi, as well as the famous places which are suitable for shopping and famous places to eat. I am always willing to try out street food, as long as it is not too unhygienic.

2. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Get a private tour! They are actually reasonably cheap and you can take it all in with your family or close friends and ask all the questions you want. They also take you to all the main attractions and then if you want later you can peel off after on your own and visit more places. But if you want a real tourist experience a private tour is the way to go.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Go for a HOHO bus tour in Delhi on both the routes they offer and it would cover a lot of major attractions and give you a feel for the city. There is a lot more to Delhi then what you would see on a HOHO bus tour so once you are done with the HOHO tour you can go to some more places and spend some time exploring the city yourself. A walking tour of old Delhi and an evening at Delhi Haat (one opposite INA market) is highly recommended.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi, @Mandy and welcome to the forum!

Here's a list of the best places to visit when you're in Delhi:

• Akshardam. Almost all tourists who go to Delhi visit Akshardam. Why? Because it has lots to offer. You can watch the fountain show, explore the garden, go for a boat ride or maybe delight at the scrumptious meals the food court offers. See, there's lots to do here and it's a must to visit this place, even just to bask in the architectural beauty of the structure.
    • Lotus Temple. Although it's a must to maintain absolute silence when in here, it's still a worth it place to visit. Just take your time to find your inner peace and pray inside the temple.
    • Delhi Eye. There's a theme park and a water park inside this amusement park. Don't forget to ride the Delhi Eye to see the city as a whole.
    • Nehru Planetarium. If you're a fan of astronomy, then consider this place. You can learn a lot whilst having fun. It's perfect for kids as well. The English show is at 11:30 am and 3:00 pm.
    • National Gallery of Modern Art. For art fans, consider this place. The area is quite huge but very serene. Perfect for just admiring the paintings and drawings inside the building.
    • Tughlaqabad Fort. This was built by the founder of the Tughlaq Dynasty. Make sure to bring your own picnic basket as this is the perfect place to soak in the sun and eat.
    • Old Fort and Zoo. Consider going to the fort during the evening for the light and sound show.
    • Paharganj. You mentioned shopping and this is the place I recommend for that. It has lots of items and trinkets to choose from. Leather bags and shoes can be found here as well. There's also jewelries and accessories you can find here.
    • Sarojini Market. Another great place for shopping, haggling is allowed here!
    • Red Fort. If you love historical places, don't forget to visit this place.
    • Shahpurjat. A great place for shopping and eating. Visit the Mad Teapot and try out their range of delectable teas.
    • Dilli Haat. Food stalls after food stalls, clothes stores after clothes stores... This is definitely an all-in-one place for tourists.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.