1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Hyderabad

Discussion in 'South India' started by Malini, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Malini

Malini New Member

I am going to Hyderabad to attend a wedding. This will be my first trip to Hyderabad, and I am quite keen on seeing the city and especially tasting the yummy food there. The only tourist attraction I have heard of in Hyderabad is Char Minar, which I think is not all that just by looking at the pictures, but I may be wrong!

I need to know what places to visit in Hyderabad. From the list provided, I would be able to know how long to stay in Hyderabad.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Charminar is not the only tourist attraction in Hyderabad. It's the most famous of them all, no doubt, but there are a lot more to explore inside the city and as well as on its outskirts. Here's a summary of popular tourist places to visit in Hyderabad.

Let's begin with Charminar. This iconic monument has been synonymous with Hyderabad since its formation. Constructed in the year 1561, this heritage monument with four intricately designed minarets is one of the finest preserved specimens of Indo-Saracenic architecture.

Next in line is the Golconda Fort. It is actually a combination of four different forts forming a huge citadel spanning across an area of over 11 square kilometers. Situated on the Western outskirts of Hyderabad, this fortress used to be the pride of Qutb Shahi Sultanate. It was originally built during the Kakatiya period and it came to prominence during the rulings of Bahmani dynasty. It was the place where the famed Kohinoor diamond used to reside at.

Hussain Sagar Lake is another must visit place in the Hyderabad city. It was created during the rulings of Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah. The huge lake is spread across an area of close to 6 square kilometers. A large monolithic statue of Buddha has been installed in the island at the center of the lake. There is a well-maintained park, Lumbini Park, surrounding the lake which is used for various recreational activities. The lake is also popular for sailing activities.

Birla Mandir, a Hindu temple, built of white marble, is a magnificent attraction at Hyderabad. It is situated on top of a hillock located to the South of Hussain Sagar lake.

Sayedani Maa Tomb is a heritage site of Hyderabad under ASI. Located at the north end of Tank Bund, the tomb is famous for its intricately decorated marble lattice work.

Salar Jung Museum is another must visit attraction in Hyderabad. It is one of the three National Museums of India. It has a rich collection of art and historical items.

Another historical attraction in Hyderabad is the Chowmahalla Palace, which used to serve as a Royal Palace of Asaf Jahi dynasty during the Nizami period. The palace is a replica of the famous Shah of Iran's palace in Tehran. Notably, it is a proud recipient of the prestigious UNESCO Asia Pacific Merit award for cultural heritage conservation.

Ibrahim Bagh - a well-maintained garden which houses the tombs of 7 Qutub Shahi rulers is another heritage site of Hyderabad that deserves to be visited.

If you are interested to learn about the culture and heritage of Hyderabad, do pay a visit to the Telangana State Archeology Museum, or more popularly, the Hyderabad Museum. Established in 1930 by Mir Osman Ail Khan, it is the oldest museum in Hyderabad. The museum has a great collection of archaeological artifacts belonging to the Nizami era, Kakatiya dynasty and Bahmani period. The Buddhist art gallery is equally impressive.

That's not all though. Ramoji Film City, Nehru Zoological Park, Makkah Masjid, NTR Gardens, Chilkur balaji Temple, Paigah Tombs, Birla Science Museum and KBR National Park are the other important tourist places located in Hyderabad.

Regards,
    Deb

3. Shaik

Shaik New Member

Apologies for bumping the thread, but just would like to give input about Charminar. When I had not seen the place I was thinking I wonder how it would look, but when arriving there, I believe it was a waste of time, but someone who is interested in photography then it is worth a visit. Going inside the minar can be a mission, it is over crowded, and the staircase leading to the top is very narrow.

Although shopping in the area is quite good, especially for the ladies.

4. rootle

rootle Member

One place that I went to the last time I was in Hyderabad was the Chowmahalla Palace. It is in the same terrible part of the city where the Charminar is, but it's worth visiting while you're there. The Palace there is pretty great and though the whole site needs to be renovated a bit and generally improved, it's worth a visit.

5. Shiv

Shiv Member

Hyderabad is a city that's full of hidden treasures and unique experiences. While the posts mentioned offer valuable recommendations, here's an additional aspect of Hyderabad that's not covered extensively in the post:

Qutb Shahi Tombs: The Qutb Shahi Tombs are a stunning complex of mausoleums located in the Ibrahim Bagh area, not far from the Golconda Fort. These tombs are the final resting places of the rulers of the Qutb Shahi dynasty who once ruled the region. The architecture and design of these tombs are impressive, featuring a blend of Persian, Indian, and Pashtun architectural styles. The tombs are a peaceful and less crowded place to explore, and they offer a glimpse into the city's rich history.

The Qutb Shahi Tombs are known for their unique design and are often considered one of the hidden gems of Hyderabad. The complex includes multiple tombs, each with its distinctive features, and wandering through the serene gardens surrounding the tombs provides a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's an excellent place for history enthusiasts, architecture lovers, and anyone seeking a more peaceful and reflective experience in Hyderabad.