1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Jammu

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Katrina, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Katrina

Katrina New Member

I am going Vaishno Devi soon, and if I were going straight there I would get the train to Katra, but I am thinking of getting the Jammu train and go sight seeing around the place. This will only be a good idea if there are places to visit there, which I currently am only assuming.

So please list the places to visit in Jammu so that I can book my tickets accordingly.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Jammu is considered as the "Winter Capital of the States of Jammu and Kashmir." During winter, the region gets very low temperature which is only suitable for many snow activities. Here's a list of must-visit places in Jammu:
    • The Bahu Fort. This fort is believed to have been built by Raja Bhau Lochan. You can find this situated on the banks of Tawi River. In the garden, you'll find a temple dedicated to the Goddess Kali. This is one of the most famous pilgrim sites in Jammu, after Vaishno Devi.
    • The Raghunath Temple. This temple complex was built by Maharaja Gulab Singh with elements of Mughal architecture. This is a temple complex that houses different shrines. Inside, you'll find some paintings depicting the Ramayana, the Mahabharata and the Gita.
    • The Vaishno Devi Temple. Over 10 million devotees visit this temple every year. The ascent to the temple can be challenging but that doesn't stop pilgrims from going to the temple. This temple is dedicated to Goddess Mahalakshmi. It can take about 6 to 7 hours alone to reach the top. The climb down takes the same hours.
    • The Bhimgarh Fort. This fort has been damaged by many earthquake already. Despite this fact, it still retains the beauty of its ancient Rajasthani architecture. The views from the fort are amazing as well.
    • The Shiv Khori. This is one the cave shrines dedicated to Lord Shiva. There is a natural formation of the Shivalinga here.
    • The Bagh-E-Bahu. Just along the Bahu Fort, you'll find this beautiful garden. There's a small cafeteria in it as well.
    • The Bahu Temple. This is situated on the left bank of the Tawi River. You'll find a shrine dedicated to Goddess Kali here.
    • The Mansar Lake. You can opt to ride a boat to tour this beautiful lake. Within the lake, there are three temples: Umapati Mahadev Temple, Narsimha Temple and Durga Temple.
    • The Nandini Wildlife Sanctuary. You can find various species of animals here like Leopards, Wild Boars and Rhesus Monkeys.
    • The Amar Mahal Museum. You'll find collections of paintings, artefacts and books here. The main attraction here is the throne of Maharaja Hari Singh made of 120 kgs of gold. There's also a restaurant inside that serves Mughlai and Kashmiri cuisines.
    I hope this helps!