1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to visit in McLeodganj

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by JigyaModi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JigyaModi

JigyaModi New Member

I will be around 10km away from McLeodganj, and seeing that I am so close to the place I thought I should maybe make a trip to the destination. I know about the the Dalai Lama temple, but what else is there that I can see in McLeodganj?

2. Deven

Deven Member

There is not much to see in McLeodganj, and very few places of interest which can all be seen in a day.

Dal Lake - The lake is only 2km away from the main market, and is a nice scenic place, although the water is dirty you can enjoy the place by baiting in the lake or simply walking along the lake.

Triund - If you are interested in trekking then Triund is the place to visit, it not only allows you to trek the mountains but also experience the views of the deep valley.

Bhagsu Falls - Again another place 2km away from the main market is Bhagsu Falls, which is the third and last thing which can be visited in McLeodganj.

Overall the location is fairly quiet and not the usual hustle bustle place like Shimla or Manali.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's a list of some of the most famous attractions in Mcleodganj:

Temples
    • Tsug La Khang or Dalai Lama's Temple. You can find the Namgyal Monastery here as well. Just opposite the monastery is the Dalai Lama's residence.
    • Masroor Temple. This is believed to have been built by the Pandava Brothers. It's a group of about 15 monolithic rock cut temples.
    • Bhagsunath Temple. This is a sacred temple to the Hindu devotees.
    Lake
    • Dal Lake. This is considered as a sacred lake especially by the locals and you can see a shrine dedicated to the Lord Shiva here.
    Waterfall
    • Bhagsu Waterfall. You can find this behind the Bhagsunath Temple and it's a popular picnic spot for tourists.
    Museum
    • Tibet Museum. This is a small museum outlining the history of the Tibetan people. You can find this very near the Dalai Lama's Temple.
    Shopping
    • Kotwali Bazaar. You can find Tibetan handicrafts here like exotic sculptures and statues. You can also find authentic Tibetan rugs and carpets in here.
    • Jogiwara Road. Most popular for its souvenir items that many tourists love.
    • Central Square. The oldest shop in the city is here, open since 1860, "Nowrojee and Son." You can also find wooden carvings, paintings and other handicrafts in here.
    Others
    • Norbulingka Institute. This is the training ground for people who are interested in making Tibetan crafts. You can even watch them while they're carving wooden crafts or sewing fabrics.
    • Tushita Meditation Centre. You can learn about the teachings of Buddhism in here.
    • Tibetan Medical and Astro Institute. This provides traditional Tibetan treatments and medicines. Students also study here to learn more about Tibetan medicine.
    I hope this helps!

jayesh kanojia likes this.