1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Ranthambore

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Yogi, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Yogi

Yogi New Member

My family and I have planned a visit to Jaipur in May, and we are thinking of extending our holiday and visiting Ranthambore. I know that Ranthambore is famous for its national park, which I think can be seen within a day, but after that we have another spare 4 days.
    We need to know what other places there are to see in Ranthambore?

2. Prits

Prits Member

There is very little to see in and around Ranthambore, as the main attraction is the national park but other than that here is a list of what else you can see:

Ranthambore Fort
    Trinetra Ganesh Temple
    Surwal Lake
    Padam Lake
    Kachida Valley
    Jogi Mahal
    Raj Bagh Ruins and
    Wild Dragon Adventure Park

3. Yogi

Yogi New Member

Thanks Prits, any preference to the places which are a must see?

4. Prits

Prits Member

All places are a must see, I don't think I can give a preference to which is a must see and which isn't! I would suggest go visit everything mentioned, you not be able to cover it all in four days but you can try.

5. Abhi

Abhi New Member

Although there are places to see in and around Ranthambore, it is an excellent place to just sit and relax in your resort and enjoy nature. We went to Ranthambore with another family some six years ago, at that time the actual park was closed so we spent around 3 days in the resort it self, quite a good experience especially from the busy lifestyle.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Just outside the border of Thar Desert, you'll find Rathambore. It's probably most well-known for the Ranthambore National Park. But there's lots more to see and explore in this region in Rajasthan. Here they are:

Places to See in Ranthambore

1. Ranthambore Fort. You can find this inside the Ranthambore National Park, about 5 kms from its entrance. This fort is a fine example of the architectural prowess during the reign of the Chauhan Dynasty. It was during the rule of King Sapaldaksha that construction of the fort was started. But it is only in the reign of Rao Hammir Deo Chauhan that the fort was finally completed. For some time, it was even a hunting reserve for the royals because of its spacious jungle. It was then converted as a part of the National Park as time passed by. Don't forget to visit the Hammir Court in the fort and try whispering here (you'll find the phenomenon when another person stands in the opposite corner).

2. Trinetra Ganesh Temple. This is also located inside the Ranthambore National Park. It also goes by the name Pratham Ganesh Temple. Trinetra means "three-eyed" and this temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesha and his entire family. It was King Hammer who built this temple, who was a devotee and believer of the Lord Ganesha.

3. Surwal Lake. Just about 25 kms away from the town proper of Ranthambore, you'll find the Surwal Lake. From November to March, you'll find different species of migratory birds in here. It's the perfect place for a picnic or just relaxing. Make sure you don't visit during April and May as this lake is dried up during that time.

4. Kachida Valley. Just outside the National Park, you'll find the Kachida Valley. A place teeming with flora and fauna, species like Bears and Panthers and even Tigers and Leopards. Try exploring the valley via riding a jeep.

5. Jogi Mahal. This is where the royal family used to rest after their hunting sessions in the reserve. You can also find the Padam Talab here, another famous lake in Ranthambore.

Places to See Near Rathambore

1. Sawai Madhopur. This is about 18 kms away from Rathambore, just a few minutes of driving. Visit the various temples here: Chouth Mata Temple, Chamatkar Temple and Bairon Temple. Lastly, visit the Rajiv Gandhi Regional Museum of Natural History here.

2. Bundi. This is about 135 kms away from Ranthambore. The Taragarh Fort is located here. Various palaces can also be visited here: Moti Mahal, Sukh Mahal, Garh Palace and Badal Mahal.

I hope this helps!