1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to visit in Shanghai

Discussion in 'China' started by Bairavi, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Bairavi

Bairavi New Member

This year my holiday is going to be in Shanghai, and when I go on a vacation abroad, I need to make sure I will be going to the right places and get the most out of my trip. I had to do a lot of research last time I went away, and it was a hassle but I have cropped upon this travel forum, and hope it will be easier this time round. I was glad to see a section for China as well!

I would like help from members to list the places to visit in Shanghai. I will most probably be going for one week, but it is not confirmed yet, so please feel free to mention as many places to visit.

2. Deven

Deven Member

Shangai is China's largest city and a tourist hub. There is plenty to see in China and here is the recommended list of the places.

Yuyuan Garden
    The Yuyuan Garden is also commonly known as Yu Garden and also the Garden of Happiness. The garden is spread over 20,000 square meters, which is very big. The garden is split into two the outer and inner garden, the outer garden is the oldest part. The garden is more than 400 years old and holds a lot of history and culture, so you get to see the Chinese architecture and sculptures. There is also a Yuyuan bazaar just beside the garden which tourists enjoy visiting.

The Jade Buddha Temple
    This Buddist is a popular Buddhist temple, as two Shakyammuni statues were brought here from Burma by the monk Huigen. The temple has three halls and two courtyards.

Shanghai Maglev train
    If you want some thrill and experience something fast then I recommend that you take a ride on the Maglev train, which is the worlds fastest train with speeds of up 501 kph. You can take a quick ride on the train from Pudong Airport to the city center, going at a speed of around 430 kph the distance of 30km is covered in 8 minutes. If you are interested in engineering then you can also visit the Maglev Museum to learn more about the train.

Shangai Museum
    To learn about some ancient history you can visit the Shangai Museum. When visiting the museum you will be able to see a big collection of relics. You can view some of the bronzes, sculptures, and ceramics which have English descriptions on them so you can understand more about them.

World Financial Center City View
    The World Financial Center is one of the tallest buildings in the world, and to be precise the tenth. The building is 492 meters tall and has 101 floors. One of the attractions of this building is that you can go to the top floor which is called The Sky Walk to get a bird's eye view of Shangai City.

Disney Land
    Who doesn't know about Disney and if you are a fan of Disney or have kids then you can also visit Disney Land.

Zhujiajiao Water Town
    To see some ancient towns then going to Zhujiajiao Water Town would be an ideal place to visit. You can go on a boat ride through the towns and under bridges to see traditional Chinese houses and old bridges, something similar to the Venice boat ride. A great trip for photographers as well.

Cruise on Huangpu River
    Going on the cruise on the Huangpu River is one of the best ways to see modern Shangai. When going on the cruise you can see the skyline of the skyscrapers. You can choose from a number of different boats and the length of your cruise which last can last from 30 minutes to 3 and half hours. It all depends on what you prefer.

Longhua Temple
    One of the oldest temples in China is the Longhua Temple in Shanghai. Although the temple was built around 242 AD, it has been rebuilt many times and the current structure dates to the 10th century.
    The temple still in use for Buddhist ceremonies.