1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit in Winter in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by PradeepP, Jul 7, 2016.

1. PradeepP

PradeepP New Member

Summer is mainly gone, well the major hot summer has. I would like to plan my winter holiday with my family, but would like to know the places to visit in Winter in India.
    When it comes it is easy to decide where to go, because you choose places like hill stations where the weather is cooler and pleasant., but with winter it is a bit difficult to decide on a suitable holiday destination.

I am from Delhi, and don't have any restrictions to where I can travel, so currently, I just need winter holiday suggestions across India.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Hmmm... It depends really on what your interests are. Would you like to embrace the cold? Or would you like to go somewhere a little warmer? Do you like crowds? Or do you like peace and serenity? The winter months are usually the peak season for many destinations in India simply because it's colder and the weather is pleasant for sightseeing activities. Anyway, let's sum it up for you, here's a list of some of the best places to visit in Indi during the winter season:

Places with Pleasant Climate During the Winter

1. Rajasthan. During the summer and monsoon season, it can be a bit unbearable to visit Rajasthan due to humidity and heat. The best time to visit Rajasthan is during the winter months. In fact, tourists flock to the region during this time. You can do so much here as well: sightseeing, camel safari, jeep safari, shopping and many more. Some of the favourite destinations here are:
    • Jaipur. The Pink City is one of the most famous destinations in Rajasthan. They have a City Palace which houses Mubarak Mahal and Chandra Mahal. There's also the Palace of Winds or Hawa Mahal known for its 953 small windows. Ride an elephant to the Amer Fort and explore the stunning structures within it.
    • Udaipur. Dubbed as the City of Lakes, it's a must to have a boat ride in the Lake Pichola. Visit all the islands in the lake and of course, all the surrounding structures. The City Palace Complex is also found here which houses about 11 more palaces inside. There's also the Kumbhalgarh Fort, where Maharana Pratap was born, which is also the highest and strongest fort in Rajasthan.
    • Jaisalmer. Most famous for its camel safaris for exploring the Sam Sand Dunes in the Thar Desert. Other places to visit here are: Jaisalmer Fort, Bada Bagh and Patwon-Ki-Haveli.
    • Jodhpur. The Sun City has many attractions to explore. The Mehrangarh Fort is one of the largest forts in India. The Kailana Lake offers stunning views of the surroundings. The Umaid Bhawan Palace Museum where one part is still a residence of the royal family and the other two have been converted to a hotel and museum.
    2. Tamil Nadu. This is the heart of Dravidian culture and architecture. However, during the summer months, sightseeing might be a bit unpleasant here. During the winter months though, the temperature goes down a little which makes it bearable to see all the temples and other attractions here:
    • Chennai. Known as the Detroit of India primarily because if its expanding automobile industry. The Semmozhi Poonga, a park, is perfect for families. There's many play structures for kids here. Apart from that, you can find medicinal plants, flowers and even hundreds of years old trees. The Huddleston Gardens is yet another park which is more famous for its different species of birds. The Arignar Anna Zoological Park is another main tourist attraction with over 170 species of animals. The Kapaleeswarar Temple is a fine example of Dravidian architecture, dating back 400 years ago.
    • Kodaikanal. The Kodaikanal Lake is one of the main attractions here where you can rent a bike or just enjoy the natural sceneries. If you're up for some challenge, trek the Dolphin's Nose and enjoy the view of the Western Ghats at its peak. The Kurinji Andavar Temple. This is where you can find the rare Kurunji Flower. The temple though is dedicated to Lord Murugan.
    • Coimbatore. This is the second largest city in Tamil Nadu. Visit the Marudamalai Temple, Eachanari Vinayagar Temple, Perur Pateeswarar Temple and Anubhavi Subramaniar Temple here. The Parambikkulam Wildlife Sanctuary can also be found here, which apart from the animals, is also home to four indigenous tribes. The Siruvani Waterfalls is believed to have the best tasting water in the world.
    Places to Enjoy Beaches

1. Lakshadweep Islands in Kerala. This is a Union Territory of India and some of the islands are restricted for foreigners. The islands has very clear waters along with a rich marine life to explore:
    • Kavaratti. This is the most developed island in the area. You can even do some water sports in here.
    • Minicoy Island. There's a lighthouse here built in the year 1885. There's also some restaurants here offering Maldives-inspired cuisines.
    2. Goa. This region comes alive during the winter season especially from December to January. Since there's a lot of Christians here, Christmas is very much celebrated here, with festivities and events around it. Places to visit are:
    • Palolem Beach. Join in on the fun of the Silent Noise Party.
    • Baga, Calangute, Colva and Bogmalo Beaches. These are the destinations for witnessing fireworks during Christmas and New Year's Eve.
    • Dona Paula. Have some adventure and do some water sports like wind surfing, knee boarding and many more.
    Places to Have Some Peace

1. Kerala. This is the best place to be one with nature and just relax. With Ayurvedic massage, houseboat cruises and its backwaters, you are surely going to have the most peaceful vacation in Kerala. Places to visit are:
    • Munnar. A visit to the Eravikulam National Park can be great for families. The Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary has lots of species of birds to keep you occupied. Trek a bit to reach Echo Point and enjoy the phenomenon in this peak. There's also a tea museum which kids can enjoy.
    • Alleppey. Enjoy a houseboat cruise in the backwaters of Kerala. To truly enjoy the backwaters, consider an overnight cruise. Don't worry as all your meals will be prepared by the staff. You can witness village life as you cruise the backwaters. It's a very peaceful and serene activity, perfect for people wanting to get away from the city life.
    • Thekkady. The Periyar National Park allows you to view wildlife either in a ferry or an elephant safari.
    Places to Embrace Winter

1. Himachal Pradesh. Whether you want to experience snowfall or just embrace the cold weather, Himachal Pradesh is the perfect destination for you. Here's some attractions here:
    • Kullu Manali. You can visit a variety of temples here: Hadimba Temple, Raghunathji Temple and Basheshwar Mahadev Temple. The Van Vihar National Park and the Pin Valley National Park are also major attractions here.
    • Shimla. The Ridge offers amazing views of the snow-clad mountains. The Naldhera and Shaily Peaks have amazing views of the mountains as well.
    • Dalhousie. The Kalatop Wildlife Reserve here is home to the Himalayan Black Bear. Trek Dainkund Peak and enjoy the views of the whole valley from the top. Khajjiar is a small town here where you can find the Khajjiar Lake, great place for picnics.
    There you go, these are the best places to spend your winter in. There's many more you can choose from in India. But these are probably my favourite ones. Let me know if you'd like an offbeat version of places to visit in winter. I hope this helps!

Chahal likes this.

3. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

I visited Sikkim in the winter of 2014 and it was a truly frozen experience. The temperature was ranging between -8 to -12 degrees and it was hard ice all over. I went there to enjoy the winter and the ice and snow. So, it depends upon what sort of experience you would like to have. But summer is unbearable in most of the plains, so it would be wise to visit only hill stations during summer. Go to the coastal ares and forests or hills to enjoy the rains and in winter it is anywhere you want to go to!! But always be careful of the road safety and accessibility because not every part of the country is approachable throughout the year.

4. rootle

rootle Member

I would go somewhere in South India, preferably near the coast, during the winter. I've been to both Goa and Kerala in the winter and those are great places to visit at that time. Goa was great of course, beaches were good, the resort was good and lots of great food. In Kerala, I'd recommend going on one of the houseboat 'cruises'. They're always fun and the weather during winter is really enjoyable.