1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to Visit Near Kolkata

Discussion in 'East India' started by aishwaryabanar, Jun 27, 2016.

1. aishwaryabanar

aishwaryabanar New Member

I live in Kolkata with my parents and older brother and sister. I have been given the permission to go on a holiday with my friends but only to a place which is near Kolkata but not that too far out.

I would like some suggestions on places to visit near Kolkata, which is a reasonable distance from Kolkata. An idea of what things can be seen and done there would be good to know.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's a few places you can visit near Kolkata:

Within 100 kms away from Kolkata

• Sagardwip. Located about 88 kms away from Kolkata, this is a place famous for its beach and crabs. If you and your friends love adventure, then consider this place. Keep in mind that it doesn't have electricity all day. It is only from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm that they have electricity. So bring your own flashlights and candles if you can. Carry mosquito repellants and look out for snakes as well. Visit the Sagar Lighthouse, the Sagardwip Beach, the Bharat Sevashram Sangha Temple and Kapil Muni Temple.
    • Bishnupur. Located about 99 kms away from Kolkata, known for its temples and terracotta handicrafts, the town of Bishnupur emerges. The temples to visit are Mrinmayee Temple, Jorebangla Temple, Kalachand Temple, Lalji Temple, Madan Mohan Temple, Nandalal Temple, Pancha Ratna Temple, Radha Govinda Temple, Radha Madhab Temple and Radha Shyam Temple. You can also visit the Raas Mancha, which is a pavilion that was once used during the Raas Festival.
    • Sunderbans. Just another 99 kms away from Kolkata is the Sunderbans which is home to the Royal Bengal Tiger. This is the best place for nature lovers and adventure lovers. There's lots of wildlife sanctuaries you can visit here: Halliday Island, Netidhopani, Lothian Island Wildlife Safari, Tin Kona Island and Sajnekhali Watch Tower. You can even bird watch here in the Sajnekhali Bird Sanctuary.
    Within 200 kms away from Kolkata
    • Santiniketan. This one is about 161 kms away from Kolkata. It is famous for its crafts, fairs, festivals and of course, as the home of Nobel Laureate and poet Rabindranath Tagore. Visit the Amar Kutir which is an art gallery. You can also visit the Ballavpur Wildlife Sanctuary. There's also the Uttarayan Complex which is a museum.
    • Digha. Located about 175 kms away from Kolkata, a place best known for its beautiful beaches. Consider visiting its beaches like the Digha Beach, Mandarmani Beach, Taglsari Beach, Udaipur Beach and Shankarpur Beach. There's also a science planetarium here. A temple you can visit is the Chandaneshwar Shiva Temple.
    I hope this helps!