1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to visit near Nasik

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by Mona, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mona

Mona New Member

My family and I will be travelling to Nasik from Delhi for religious purposes a pooja which is performed there. We will be travelling by train and it will take a good 20 hours to get there, we intend to spend some time around Nasik after the pooja has been performed which usually takes around 2-3 hours, but need to know which places we can visit. It is not that regular that such far distance trips are made or easy, so we thought we would make it worth while and see some popular places.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It really depends what you are looking for. I wont suggest a trip to one of the wineries for wine tasting as you are there for a pooja. You could go to Shridi and Shani Shignapur which are not too far. Nashik itself is a lovely place and spending some time in the temple of Trimbkeshwar is highly recommend and you can also explore the river banks if you like.

3. Prits

Prits Member

Within Nasik see some of the famous temples like the Trimbakeshwar Temple and Kalaram Temple, along with a visit to the Pandavleni Caves. Outside of Nasik you can go to Mumbai and visit some famous places there and if interested go to the theme park Imagica which is quite popular. If you wish to visit a hill station then I would suggest Lonavala which is only 4 hours away from Nasik.

4. KaranSingh

KaranSingh New Member

Four hours away from Nasik is a place where you can go and see the Ajanta Ellora Caves, which is a popular tourist spot.

5. ShekarSingh

ShekarSingh New Member

If you want to see Mumbai city that is an option where you can see the tourist spots and famous mandirs , if you want to go to some hill station then you can go to Lonavala. Shirdi Sai Baba is also close by to Nasik approximately two hours distance.

6. Deven

Deven Member

7. Karan

Karan Member

Nasik is more of a religious place, and there is not much to see there apart from the temples, and the caves which are a bit far out. Other options are Sula vineyards, but the tickets for this are quite expensive.

8. JimmyKakkar

JimmyKakkar New Member

Mumbai is only 3 hours away from Nasik, and you can go to the city and see some of the famous attractions there such as the Gateway of India, the beaches and Elephanta Caves and of course experience eating the very famous vada pao. When it comes to religion you can visit the famous Sidivinyak Mandir and Haji Ali.

9. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Dont miss the Gargoti mineral museum at Sinnar which is a small town near Nashik while you are there. If you have a taste for different gems and minerals you would love it.

10. ShekarSingh

ShekarSingh New Member

Actually the pricing for tickets is quite confusing the official site does not clearly mention the cost for just the visit, if anyone has any information on the pricing for Sula Vineyards please post the details.

11. Dakota

Dakota New Member

There is so many fantastic places to visit in India. I think I could spend 3 years exploring India and I still wouldn't be able to see and do all I want. I am going to India in May for our honeymoon. My wish list right now fills up 10 pages. I have a few months to cut this down. But instead the more I read and the more I explore my list keeps growing.

12. Nashik is a good place to visit by itself. You can also go to popular near by places like Lonavla, Igatpuri and the Ajanta and Ellora caves (which are not that close but still a few hours drive away). And of course you can visit Mumbai too.

13. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Nasik is dubbed as the "Wine Capital of India" because of the various vineyards you can find here. It can be found on the foot of the Western Ghats as well as nearby the Godavari River. It also holds the Kumbh Mela, it's one of the only four cities that does so. Just around Nasik, there's plenty of attractions to see. Here they are:

Forts
    • Ramshej Fort. You can find this very close to the Pindori Village. It is believed that Lord Rama used to rest in this fort, hence the name "Ramshej" which means "Lord Ram's Bedstead."
    • Tringalwadi Fort. You can find this in the town of Igatpuri in Nashik. This is estimated to have existed since the 10th Century although it's not known exactly when. You can find several structures around the fort and inside it as well.
    • Harihar Fort. This can also be found in the town of Igatpuri. This unique fort was built on a triangular rock. It takes a bit of an effort to reach its top though. You'd have to use steep pathways and narrow staircases to reach the top. There's a small temple for Lord Hanuman and Lord Shiva at the peak.
    Temples
    • Muktidham Temple. This marvellous temple was built out of marble. Inside, you'll find its walls are inscribed with the writings of the Bhagawad Gita. Aside from that, the 12 Jyotirlingas can all be found in here.
    • Kalaram Temple. This is a templed dedicated to Lord Rama as the name suggests, "Kalaram" which means "Black Rama." Goddess Sita, Lord Hanuman and God Lakshmana also have statues here.
    • Someshwar Temple. This is just near the Godavari Temple and is believed to be over 700 years old already. There's even a park and a boating facility in the temple premises.
    Caves
    • Pandavleni Caves. These caves date as far back as the 2nd Century BC. The walls of these caves are inscribed with Buddhist teachings.
    Museums
    • Coin Museum. You cannot go to Nasik and not visit this place. It has a wide collection of coins from the different eras of Indian history.
    • Pragati Aerospace Museum. This museum is divided into two parts: the first part consists of photographs of the history of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and the second part consists of the different components of the aircrafts.
    Vineyards
    • Sula Vineyards. Did you know that Nasik is home to about 22 vineyards (There's 46 in India as a whole)? Sula Vineyards is the first commercial vineyard in Nasik with about 70% market share in the whole country. You can taste some wines here or even spend a night or two at the resort in the vineyard.
    • York Winery. Just very close to the Sula Vineyards, you'll find the York Winery. Their main selling point? Their fruity, yummy wines! They also have wine tasting rooms for guests.
    Wildlife/Nature
    • Nandur Madhmeshwar Bird Sanctuary. Aside from the different migratory bird species, you can also find many species of plants in here.
    • Dudhsagar Waterfalls. Just very close to the Someshwar Temple, you'll find the Dudhsagar Waterfalls. Enjoy having a picnic here as the views are amazing.
    Others
    • Artillery Centre. Military training to soldiers are given here. There's also museum and a war memorial located in the vicinity of the Artillery Centre.
    • Gangapur Dam. You can find this near the Godavari River. It's an earthen dam which is about 120 feet in height and 12,802 feet in length.
    Now, let's go to some places near Nasik worth visiting. Here they are:

Under 100 Kms from Nasik
    • Trimbakeshwar. This is just 38 kms away from Nasik. This is best known as the home to 1 of the 12 Jyotirlinga Temples of the Lord Shiva. Attractions here are: Trimbakeshwar Temple, the Trimbakeshwar Pond which is the source of Godavari River and the Ram Lakshman Tirtha.
    • Bhandardara. This is about 70 kms away from Nasik. This is a lovely hill station with so many attractions to see. Some of them are: Arthur Lake, Amruteshwar Temple, Umbrella Falls, Wilson Dam, Mount Kalusubai and Radha Falls.
    • Jawhar. This is about 78 kms away from Nasik. This is another hill station with a pleasant climate as well as natural attractions. Some places to visit here are: Dabdaba Falls, Hanuman Point and Bhopatgad Fort.
    Under 200 Kms from Nashik
    • Aurangabad. This is about 180 kms away from Nasik. This is a great destination for history lovers as you can find some heritage sites, monuments and other structures in here. The famous Ajanta and Ellora Caves are a few kilometres away from here. Other important attractions here are: Soneri Mahal, Jama Masjid and Khuldabad.
    • Matheran. This is about 160 kms away from Nasik. This is the smallest hill station in India. Enjoy the peaks here like: Louisa Point, Alexander Point, Panorama Point, Garbut Point and Hart Point. Morbe Dam and Charlotte Lake are also famous attractions in here.
    I hope this helps!