Questions About Meat Consumption

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by katiejean990, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. katiejean990

katiejean990 New Member

Hello, my dear members! I was curious if you had any information on the standard Indian diet. I know that the U.S. restaurants serve a wealth of chicken-based dishes, but it this accurate? I also wondered what other kinds of meat are commonly consumed. Thanks for any feedback! I frequent my local Indian restaurant, and they have fantastic food, but when I cook my first dish I want it to be as authentic as possible! :)

2. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

Vegetarianism is common in India, though it isn't required in people's diets, so as for meat consumption: beef/any sort of cow product is generally not common, since in Hinduism cows are considered an animal that shouldn't really be used for eating. Chicken, however, is a relatively common meat for dishes, so it seems pretty normal to eat.

3. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Before anything else, Hindus are prohibited from eating beef so you need to strike that out from your ingredients list. Anyway, when it comes to meat consumption in India, I think the most consumed meat there are goat meat and chicken. A lot of India's local dishes and delicacies have goat meat and chicken as main ingredients. I recommend that you acquire a recipe book on authentic Indian cuisine if you want to know more about Indian dishes.

4. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

I'm assuming most restaurants will prohibit beef consumption, to not offend certain sensitivities. I think looking online for recipes and reviews of authentic cuisine is a good idea to begin with. Some in-depth recipe books can be quite expensive.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

You already know about cows obviously. I was talking with several friends and some guys here because my diet is based on veggies and fruit. I like to avoid meat and I am a vegetarian basically. They told me that it is easy to find good vegetarian meals since a big part of India's cousine is vegetarian. They do have a lot of dishes with meat as well but not with beef. I believe chicken is very common and fish as well. When I eat meat and that happens rarely these are my choices so India sounds like a perfect country for me :)

6. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member

I believe there is probably something for everybody by way of cuisine in India. I don't know much about regional trends in diets, but I think in at least the tourist areas, you shouldn't worry about finding a dish that will suit your tastes.

7. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

The 'cow' issue is very hot at the moment with this new government. However, there are some places where cow meat is eaten. Besides chicken, mutton and pork find their place in the Indian cuisine
    What will be the first Indian dish that you will cook?