1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio taxi safety concern in odd hours

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by RedHeels, Nov 21, 2014.

1. RedHeels

RedHeels New Member

Hello

Is it safe for a solo female to catch a Radio Taxi to Delhi airport during odd hours (02:00 AM). I know the way to the airport and it's not very far, but still I am concerned is it safe at night or shall I reach the airport by 09:00 PM or 10:00 PM to ensure my safety and security.

Thanks in advance

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Radio taxis are safe. Just take a picture of the taxi number plate while the driver is looking at you so he knows you've done that and send it to your friends. This should be a good deterrent.

You can also take the underground that takes you straight to the international terminal. I am not too sure if they operate at that time though.

3. Aadi

Aadi Member

As per best of my knowledge, if you are taking a radio taxi from a leading name (MegaCabs, Meru, or Taxi for Sure) then its totally safe as they have GPS tracking system installed in all the cabs and till date I never heard of any such instance where anyone was robbed or anything. Plus as Chahal said you can click the pic of the taxi number and message it to your friends too :)

Personally I use MegaCabs and have never faced any issues till date, please update if you need contact number for MegaCabs, Meru or Taxi for Sure.

Gabydi likes this.
  4. Major

Major New Member

Radio taxis are safe, it is important that you take a photo or note of the number plate and the driver and send it someone (make it look obvious that the driver knows that you are doing this) and if you can stay on the phone with someone, if it is really late at night.
    I would suggest you reach the airport by latest 11pm just to be on the safe side like you said.

5. spaceboytaylor

spaceboytaylor New Member

Yeah, you shouldn't have a problem, if anything goes wrong in big name taxi company's car, the driver risks losing their job which I wouldn't really think would be worth it. Plus I'm sure they do research on the drivers to make sure they aren't insane. So you should be safe.

6. mscaver86

mscaver86 New Member

Yes I have a good from India and he travels back home often to see his family he uses MegaCab a lot and never had any issues that he has expressed. As a woman I understand your reservations. Usually with well known companies there is not to many issues!

7. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think radio taxis are are safer option as they are being tracked by the service providers call center. In most of the cases if there is any deviation, the driver would be called and if there is no response they will just call up the passenger to check if everything is OK. Protection of female passengers is of high priority in India and various systems/methods are being tested to ensure 100% safety of the passengers.

As already quote earlier you could take a snap of the vehicle's registration number and let the driver know in an indirect way that you have already shared it with the your friends/family. This is a practical advice that you can apply anywhere in the world.

8. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

That is not true. None of the radio taxis monitor the taxi's location while they are on a job. The only use they make of the GPS is to figure out which taxi is the closest when a customer calls to book a taxi or when the police contacts them for whereabouts of a particular vehicle.

9. btalivny

btalivny Member

Radio taxis are very safe in my opinion. The company I work for only hires them to take clients and visitors due to features such as gps tracking. I like the idea of taking a a picture of the licence plate and sending it or posting it where your friends can see.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think any big name taxi service will be safe to be honest, as they will have drivers registered and will wear ID should anything go wrong.

These popular taxi companies became popular due to the quality of service they provide, and safety is one of their main priorities.

11. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

I’ve heard Radio Taxis are very safe. The good thing is that I just confirmed that they are tracked by a GPS system, so there’s not trouble. You also have the option of sharing a cab with someone who’s going to the airport at that same time, and you probably would feel safer is you’re not alone.

12. rabindra sharma

rabindra sharma New Member

I think the radio taxis are safe. Though they can be tracked by GPS Its always better to be safe then sorry, so try to text a close friend or family member the registration number of the taxi. To make the cab driver aware that someone knows you are in the taxi try calling your relative or close friend and say that you are travelling to your destination and travelling in the taxi with the "registration number". While speaking on the phone speak it the way that the driver knows that you have given the information to someone else.

13. Faye1232212

Faye1232212 New Member

This is a great idea!! I never thought about doing this but I can see how taking a photo can be helpful. It would make the cabbie think twice about anything knowing that you have evidence of the cab ride. I've always been afraid to enter cabs, especially in another country but doing that makes me more comfortable. Thank you for the awesome advice!!

14. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

They are definitely safe, make sure the car you're getting into is your cab, that your driver is wearing ID and that he knows you've told someone else his registration. My wife has made the same journey at similar hours several times with no problems. Just be sure that you use one of the bigger companies as they generally have the better drivers.