1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rajdhani Express

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Dishant, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Dishant

Dishant New Member

I will be traveling from New Delhi to Patna on the Patna Rajdhani Express. The tickets have been booked.

I have a few queries regarding the journey and would like them to be answered by those who know more about the Rajdhani services.

1. Does the Patna Rajdhani Express have WiFi services and are they free?

2. What are the food timings for the Rajdhani Express?

3. Is the food hygienic? Should I carry my own food as well?

4. Does this particular service Delhi to Patna ever get delayed?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

1. I do not believe it has wifi, but that might have been added recently. Your best bet is to send them an inquiry directly.
    2. Morning Tea is around 06.00 AM with a 9-9.30 Breakfast. Around 12.00 PM they serve lunch. Evening offers dinner.
    3. The food is hygienic, but not very good by many reviews. A lot of people recommend taking your own food, and extra water.
    4. There is always the possibility of train delays in India. But generally, they go along fairly well, and better of late.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yes, there is WiFi facility for the Howrah New Delhi Rajdhani Express. This facility was implemented in the year 2013. Although it was halted for some time, the management had implemented the WiFi facility again. About 50 rakes have this WiFi facility and yes, it is free of charge.

Three trains are given the priority though which are: Rajdhani Express, Shatabdi Express and Duronto Express. For the moving trains, there's 4 Mbps download bandwidth and 512 Kbps upload bandwidth.

To be able to access the free WiFi, the passengers need to register first. They have to provide their PNR and other vital information like mobile number. Once validated, the login ID and password will be sent to the mobile number of the passenger. This login ID and password would remain valid for the whole journey.

Here are the timings for the different meals:
    • Morning tea is around 6:30 am.
    • Breakfast is around 8:00 am.
    • Mid-morning snack at about 10:00 am.
    • Lunch is about 12:30 pm.
    • Mid-afternoon snack is at 4:00 pm.
    • Dinner is around 8:00 pm.

I'd say the food in the Rajdhani Express is quite good compared to other train foods. All meals are served hot and fresh. They're also quite generous with the meals, as you get snacks in between meals. However, the food in the 1st AC is quite better than other classes. If you do want that luxury, opt for this class of train. Some of the meals are:
    • Morning Tea: Either tea/coffee with some biscuits.
    • Breakfast: Vegetarian or non-vegetarian meals. For vegetarian meals, bread butter & cutlet, idli & vada, upma & vada and many more. For non-vegetarian meals, bread & omelette, casserole meals, thali meals and many more.
    • Lunch/Dinner: Soup, main course and dessert course. Main course can be dal dish, paneer dish, parantha and many more. Dessert can be ice cream or fruits.
    • Evening Tea: Either tea/coffee, chocolate, sandwiches, sodas or fresh fruit juices.
    Yes, unfortunately, there were times that this particular train service had been late for many hours. Most especially during rainy and foggy weather. So make sure that you book a train that is earlier than your schedule or itinerary. Plan it ahead and expect at least an hour of delay.

I hope this helps!