1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Fort light and sound show

Discussion in 'North India' started by Gin, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Gin

Gin New Member

I have lived in Delhi for over ten years now and never seen the Red Fort. Finally, it has been decided that we would take some of our relatives who are coming from Lucknow to see it. They informed us that there is some special light and sound show there, which I have never heard about.

I would like to find out when the light and sound show is done, the days and timings?

How long does it last?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Gin! Welcome to the forum!

The Red Fort was the residence of the Mughal Emperor until 1857. That means, the Mughals lived in it for over 200 years. It was also the political centre of the Mughal Government. It was constructed in 1648 by the 5th Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan. It is just adjacent to the Salimgarh Fort, which was built by Islam Shah Suri in 1546. Its original name is Lal Qila, which literally means the Red Fort.

The Red Fort has an are of about 254.67 acres which is enclosed by a 2.41 km wall. It is octagonal, with the North South axis longer and the East West axis shorter. The walls were made using red sandstone, giving it its red colour. It exemplifies Mughal architecture although the art can be described as a combination of Persian, European and India.

The Red Fort has several structures including the Naubat Khana or the drum house. This is where music was played at fixed times daily. The Diwan I Aam was the public audience hall. This is where state events and functions were held. There are also women's quarters or zenanas, the Mumtaz Mahal and the Rang Mahal.

The Red Fort was the first place in Asia to have a light and sound show. The show was started during the year 1965 by the India Tourism Development Corporation. It doesn't have special effects like the other light and sound shows in the country, but the narration is very interesting and worth listening to. The narration focuses on the history of Delhi with particular emphasis on the rule of the Mughals, which was when the Red Fort was built. It is an hour long show and the timings vary depending on the season:

September & October
    • 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm (English)
    • 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm (Hindi)
    November to January
    • 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm (English)
    • 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm (Hindi)
    February to April
    • 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm (English)
    • 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm (Hindi)
    May to August
    • 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm (English)
    • 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm (Hindi)

The show is an hour long and there's a 30-minute gap in between the English and Hindi shows. Take note that the Red Fort is closed during Mondays so schedule your visit accordingly. You can buy your ticket online at the website of the Ashok Group or through the counter at the Red Fort, up to an hour before the show starts.

The ticket rates are as follows:

Weekdays
    • Adults at Rs. 60 and Children (3 to 12 years old) at Rs. 20.
    Weekends and Government Holidays
    • Adults at Rs. 80 and Children (3 to 12 years old) at Rs. 30.
    I hope this helps.

:)