1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting a motorcycle in Kullu, Himachal Pradesh

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by LordNR, Nov 28, 2014.

  1. LordNR

    LordNR New Member


    I am looking for a decent Royal Enfield motorcycle on rent in Kullu, as I am planning two weeks stay there. I know that foreigners can rent motorcycles in Goa without any hassle but I am not sure about Himachal government. I found some information on internet but that didn't answer all my questions:
    1. As a foreigner can I ride motorcycle anywhere in Himachal
    2. Do I need any permit or no objection certificate from state government?
    3. I have international driving license but I do not want to deposit it with any third person.
    4. Do I have to pay heavy security fee to rent a motorcycle.

    I do not want to fall in any legal issues so can you please recommend any reliable bike rental place in Kullu from where I can obtain all permissions and required documents.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Chahal

    Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

    Yes you can as long as you have the permit to go beyond Rohtang pass.

    All vehicles have to get a permit from Manali to go to Rohtang and beyond.

    I don't know of a situation where you would need to deposit your original driver's license.

    You will have to deposit some money but it is not a lot.

  3. briannagodess

    briannagodess Well-Known Member

    Hello and welcome to the forum!

    You can ride the motorcycle in allowed areas along Himachal. Restricted areas include: Kaza in Lahaul / Spiti District and Khab in Kinnaur District. The towns in these districts are Samdo, Dhankar, Tabo, Gompa, Kaza, Morang and Dubling. So as long as you ride your motorcycle away from these districts, you're fine.

    Otherwise, you can acquire an Inner Line Permit to access these areas. With an Inner Line Permit, you can go to these areas within 15 days only.

    You won't need any permit if you're not going to visit these places. Like I said, an Inner Line Permit would be needed if you have some desire to visit the restricted areas. To obtain an Inner Line Permit, these are the procedures:

    For a minimum of four people or more
    • Proceed to Shimla's Deputy Collector Office and go to their Additional Divisional Magistrate (ADM) Office.
    • Complete the form for applying for an Inner Line Permit.
    • Submit two passport sized photographs, photocopies of your visa and passport along with the completed form.
    For four people and below
    • Proceed to DC Office complex located off Khwangi Road. Go to their ADM Office.
    • Complete the form and pass the necessary requirements. Smile for the webcam camera as they take your picture (no passport sized photos required).

    The requirements to be able to rent a motorcycle are:
    • Passport
    • Driving License
    • International Driving License
    From what I've read, you can either leave your passport or driving license as a security deposit. You'd have to ask the rental agency though to make sure.

    Security fee ranges from rental agency to rental agency. I found one called Epic Moto Tours and their security deposit for a motorcycle is at: Rs. 3,000 for one day and Rs. 10,000 for more than a day.

    Here's a few reliable rental agencies:
    • Epic Moto Tours. Contact number is at: +91 94181 46187. Their address is at: Leh Manali Hwy, Tibetan Colony, Manali, Himachal Pradesh 175103, India.
    • Royal Moto Touring. Contact number is at: +91 8628071700. Their address is at: Village Koshla, Manali, Himachal Pradesh, India.
    I hope this helps!