1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rohtang Pass

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Kamila, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kamila

Kamila New Member

Please excuse my lack of knowledge and sense of understanding things, but it is something which I need to ask on India Travel Forum to get a straight forward and simple answers for.

As the title mentions my queries are about Rohtang Pass, which is a very popular destination I have heard of and read about in many posts, there just seems to be a lot of hype about Rohtang Pass. So I thought why not find out about the place and then maybe visit it.

1. First things first, what is Rohtang Pass?

2. There are times when the pass is closed, when is it open?

3. When should you visit Rohtang Pass?

4. When you reach Rohtang Pass what do you do there, is there anything to see or do?

5. What is further ahead of Rohtang Pass?

6. Should you drive your vehicle or should a taxi be hired?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

From what I know, the pass goes through parts of the Himalayas. It is historically quite inhospitable, and may people died there, but it was still important for trade between the people on both sides of the mountain range. Currently, the pass is open from May to November, and a new tunnel is being built to cut through the mountain.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I have just replied to another thread about Rohtang pass which has answers to all your queries.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

As the name suggests, Rohtang Pass is a passage between the Spiti Valley and Lahaul Valley. Rohtang Pass is about 53 kms away from Manali and it connects Kullu to both the Spiti Valley and Lahaul Valley, thereby giving access to Leh. It is also the passage for Pangi, Leh and Ladakh. So in other words, it is a connection fro Kullu to Spiti and Lahaul Valley.

Trivia: Rohtang means "pile of corpses," the name is due to the number of people who have died trying to cross the pass.

It varies depending on the weather but generally the pass is open from May to November or June to October. It isn't particularly high or steep to cross on foot but the weather conditions can make it extra difficult. The unpredictable blizzards and snowstorms are your main enemies here.

Summer season is the best time to visit the pass. This is usually from May, June, July, August and October. The weather is quite pleasant during these months especially during the early months of summer season.

Here's some attractions en route to Rohtang Pass:
    • Snow Point. Just a long stretch of road with snow on the way to Rohtang Pass.
    • Rahala Falls. A cascade and a punchbowl type of waterfall en route to the pass. A great place for a picnic, trekking or even rock climbing.
    Here's some activities you can do in Rohtang Pass:
    • Snow Scooter. A great activity for adventure seekers, you can hire a scooter and drive yourself or hire someone to drive for you.
    • Paragliding. Another popular adventure for tourists although not for the faint-hearted.
    You can access the Spiti Valley and Lahaul Valley after the Rohtang Pass. Just after these two valleys, there's Leh and Ladakh.

If you're quite adept at driving in such terrains, then you can bring your own vehicle. However, if you're not that good in driving in such terrains, it's better to hire a local driver that is experienced enough in driving in the Rohtang Pass.

I hope this helps!