1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rohtang Pass

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Devindra, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Devindra

Devindra New Member

I am going to be in Manali in a couple of weeks and I am thinking of going to the popular Rohtang Pass which I have only heard or read about. So that I don't waste any time traveling I want to make sure that I get some questions answered which would help me decide my trip to Rohtang Pass.

1. What are the opening and closing times of Rohtang Pass?

2. What months is Rohtang pass open from and to?

3. Are there any bus services which go to Rohtang Pass?

4. Is it best to take a taxi or your own vehicle to Rohtang Pass?

5. What are the road conditions like from Manali to Rohtang Pass?

6. What can you do at Rohtang Pass, are there any activities?

7. Is there overnight stay at Rohtang Pass?

8. What is the best time of the day to go to Rohtang Pass?

9. Are there any charges for Rohtang Pass?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There is no opening or closing timings for Rohtang pass however vehicles are only allowed to go to Rohtang pass between 6AM and 11AM and allowed to return back between 11AM and 6PM.

Rohtang pass normally opens in the month of May and closes in November due to heavy snow.

Yes there are HRTC and HPTDC buses that you can take for Rohtang pass.

If you are going for a day at Rohtang pass then I would suggest taking a taxi as the roads are narrow and taxi drivers are used to of driving there. Having a taxi driver also takes away the stress of coping with heavy traffic on that route and leaves you with more time to enjoy the scenery.

Road condition between Manali and Rohtang is not bad atall, it is the width of the roads that is a problem. The whole stretch from Manali to Rohtang has traffic jam problems so be prepared to spend a few hours waiting for traffic to move.

Snow scooters, paragliding and playing with snow and a lot more besides watching the excellent scenery from snow point and Marhi.

There are no places at Rohtang pass to stay over night. I won't advise trying with tents either as snow storms there are violent and Rohtang word itself doesn't make it sound like a good idea. It looks fantastic until it is calm but weather changes within minutes.

Leave Manali early morning and get to Rohtang 8ish and spend the whole day there until about 4PM and return back.

Yes there is a congestion charge of Rs 1000 to Rs5000 depending upon what vehicle you use but these charges were put on hold last year and it keeps changing so it is best to enquire when you get there.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Those vehicles whose destination is solely Rohtang Pass are allowed to go from Manali to Rohtang Pass from 6:00 am to 11:00 am. After 11:00 am, no more vehicles are allowed to go to Rohtang Pass. Those from Rohtang Pass travelling back to Manali are only allowed to leave from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.

Those vehicles travelling to Leh, Spiti Valley or Lahaul Valley via Rohtang Pass can pass from 5:00 pm to 6:00 am only. Emergency vehicles and certified HRTC Buses have no restrictions though.

Also, Rohtang Pass is closed for tourists during Tuesdays.

It depends on when winter season comes but generally, it's open from May to November or June to October.

Yes, you can ride HRTC or HPTDC Buses:
    • HPTDC. This has daily buses operating with a route of: Manali > Kothi > Rahala > Marhi > Rohtang Pass > Manali. The fare for this bus is at Rs. 310 per person. However, the bus drops you off a distance from the action centre and you'd have to ride a pony to reach the area. Pony rides can be expensive unfortunately.
    • HRTC. They also have daily buses with a fare of Rs. 60. The downside with this bus is that it has many stopovers.

It depends on how skilled of a driver you are. If you have taken such routes and terrains before, you can drive your own vehicle to Rohtang Pass. However, if you haven't traveled to such terrains before, it's better to hire a driver and a taxi as well. Only hire a taxi driver that is local to the area so he'd have some experience driving in Rohtang Pass. You're safer and more secured this way.

From Manali to Marhi, the road conditions are excellent. Afterwards, you'd have to exercise some caution as the roads can be:
    • Dry, sandy and rocky. Most especially during the summer months.
    • Wet and slushy with hidden rocks in some muds. This usually occurs during monsoon season.
    • Ice laden. You can encounter this in some paths.
    And add to that there are no barricades on the sides, which could somewhat scare an unexperienced trekker.

You can do these activities in Rohtang Pass:
    • Snow Scooter Ride
    • Skiing
    • Horse Ride
    • Yak Ride
    • Snow Mobile Ride
    Nope, you'd have to stay in Manali or other places near Rohtang Pass.

As early as you can, maybe before mid-morning even. Leave for Manali as early as 4:00 am. This way you can enjoy the views and take as many pictures as you'd like. You can also do all the activities if you arrive early.

For petrol vehicles, the fee is Rs. 1,000 and for diesel vehicles, the fee is Rs. 2,500. For vehicles carrying 6 passengers and more, the fee would be as high as Rs. 5,000.

I hope this helps!