1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same Day Agra Tour by Train

Discussion in 'North India' started by Ankush12, Jun 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ankush12

Ankush12 New Member

I will be arriving in Agra in the early hours of 14th July 2016, and I would be arriving back in Delhi the same day in the night. I would like to know is it possible to do an Agra tour the same day, covering all the major tourist attractions including going to the famous Sadar Bazaar there and try the chaat's, and then be able to make the train back home?

A few questions which I have are:

What time does the Taj Mahal open in the morning?

What time does Agra Fort open in the morning?

How long would it take to see Taj Mahal and Agra Fort?

Is there anything to see which I am missing?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

It is possible to tour Agra in one day and make it back to Delhi the same day. There are some train options you can take in the morning:
    • The 12050 Gatimaan Express. This is a newer high-speed train travelling from Delhi to Agra and vice versa. With this bus, it takes just an hour and 40 minutes to reach Agra or Delhi, even if it's supposed to be 184 kms away from each other. Departure time in Delhi is in 8:10 am at Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station. Arrival time in Agra is at 9:50 am. Fare costs anywhere between Rs. 750 to Rs. 1,750. It is available everyday except Fridays. This one is nonstop.
    • The 12002 New Delhi Bhopal Shatabdi Express. It departs from New Delhi Railway Station at 6 am and arrives in Agra at 7:57 am. Fare averages between Rs. 540 to Rs. 1,040. It runs everyday as well. This one has one stop.
    • The 12280 Taj Express Super Fast. It departs at 7:05 am and arrives in Agra at 9:47 am. The fare is from Rs. 100 to Rs. 270 and it runs everyday. This one has three stops.
    These are some train options you can take in the evening:
    • The 12049 Gatimaan Express. Departs from Agra at 5:50 pm and arrives in Delhi at 7:30 pm. Runs everyday except Fridays.
    • The 12279 Taj Express Super Fast. Departs from Agra at 6:55 pm and arrives in Delhi at 10:05 pm.
    • The 12001 New Delhi Bhopal Shatabdi Express. Departs from Agra at 9:15 pm and arrives in Delhi at 11:30 pm.
    The Taj Mahal is open as early as sunrise, that is at 6:00 am and closes at sunset, that is at 7:00 pm. Buy your tickets in the Western or Eastern gates if you're going to Taj as early as sunrise. Otherwise, buy from the Southern gate if you're going beyond 8:00 am. During Fridays, the Taj Mahal is closed for visitors.

Five times of the month, there's a full moon viewing from 8:30 pm to 12:30 am. This is during full moon night, two days before it and two days after it.

Agra Fort is open from sunrise to sunset as well.

You would need at least two to three hours for the Taj Mahal. And for the Agra Fort, an hour and a half to two hours would be enough.

Other attractions you should visit if you have the time are:
    • Tomb of Akbar the Great. It is located in Sikandra, about 8 kms away from Agra City and 14 kms away from the Taj Mahal. I think this is one overlooked attraction in Agra despite it being a great example of Mughal architecture. The big gateway opens into a garden in the other side and in the middle is a five-storey building. The main mausoleum is made of red sandstone and the upper part is made of marble. It contains the remains of Akbar, his two daughters and a son of Shah Alam.
    • Itimad-ud-Daulah's Tomb. Located in the Old City of Agra, this is another hidden gem in the city. Not a lot of people visit this attraction, although it is also known by the name Baby Taj. This is the first Mughal structure made completely from marble.
    I hope this helps!